What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another edge distance question

RVGator

I got a little concerned about my edge distance on HS-710 as well. I think I'm ok but I want a second opinion. I believe I have 2D edge distance. Perhaps I am just shy if you count ruler placement, parallax error, and brownian motion.

2011-01-25_18-19-55_61.jpg

I agree there should be a better way to make these holes.

I'm also curious as to when I should have my first expert inspection. I was planning to do so just before I riveted the HS.

If your too close

1) Make a little plate that goes under the flange..with a hole drilled in the middle.

2) Cleco hole to the hole with too close an edge distance.

3) Drill and flush rivet this plate with two countersunk rivets either side of the hole.

4) Build on.

Frank

Looks good to me, the hole is centered in the angle, any closer to the inside and the head/nut will ride in the radius (I assume this is a 3/16 bolt?)

Last edited:
Looks good to me, the hole is centered in the angle, any closer to the inside and the head/nut will ride in the radius (I assume this is a 3/16 bolt?)

Hi Walt,

Actually this is in HS-710 just after the bend. It will receive an AN470D4-6 rivet.

I emailed Vans the picture but haven't heard back yet.

Dave

Hi Walt,

Actually this is in HS-710 just after the bend. It will receive an AN470D4-6 rivet.

I emailed Vans the picture but haven't heard back yet.

Dave

Looking at this picture this morning I see now that I misinterpreted the right edge (I was thinking the shiny area was underneath) so disrgard everything I said!
I realize now the shy ED is actually on the left.

It's not unusual to see manufactures bless 1.5 ED so you may be ok.

Vans emailed this morning saying it's ok. So I'm building on. Thanks for the advice. That doubler trick will come in handy someday for sure!

It's not unusual to see manufactures bless 1.5 ED so you may be ok.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "edge" distance actually measured to the center of the hole? If that's the case then then that hole is 2D from the edge.

I think I'm just splitting hairs at this point. off by 1/64"? 1/32" at the most?

Vans told me that if I intend to build this airplane to 1/64th or even 1/32 tolerance that I will never finish the thing. All new builders have been where you are...worried about all the little things. As I was told...you are building a tractor, not a swiss watch.

I think I'm just splitting hairs at this point. off by 1/64"? 1/32" at the most?
Dave,

1/64" or 1/32" is an alien concept to me. Traditionally measured and the value determined using a machinist scale, from what I can tell in your image, the edge distance in this case....always measured from the center of the hole....appears to be .31-.32 which for purposes of splitting hairs is acceptable for a .1285 hole that will accept an AD4 rivet.

Excellent...

SO at what point should I have my first expert inspection? I was thinking of doing so before I started riveting the right HS.

Back