What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ticking sound

YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
Still getting used to my engine's noises (O-320-E3D, 770 SMOH, 11 STOH), and I know it's impossible to diagnose online, but wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone. I hear a "ticking" sound when idling, about 1-2Hz, which increases with RPM's. I don't hear it at high power settings in flight but I do when I throttle back to land. When I am back at the plane on Friday I will attempt to localize it with a stethoscope. I have 4 brand new ECI cylinders, so I would hope it's not an issue involving them, but I will check. Any other areas to check or possibilities to look for? Engine runs fine otherwise, and seems to develop full power, with no other symptoms.

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited:
Tapping....

I couldn't help but notice the "11 STOH". WAG, but could the person who took
the cly's off just happen to remove one of the pushrods with the little "cap"
that mates the hydraulic unit to the pushrod/rocker arm and just put a pushrod back in without it. Like I said a WAG, but the sounds heard would be about the same.
Pull valve covers, check all pushrods for movement.....John

I couldn't help but notice the "11 STOH". WAG, but could the person who took
the cly's off just happen to remove one of the pushrods with the little "cap"
that mates the hydraulic unit to the pushrod/rocker arm and just put a pushrod back in without it. Like I said a WAG, but the sounds heard would be about the same.
Pull valve covers, check all pushrods for movement.....John

I will keep that on the idea list if I can't find something simpler, like the above mentioned exhaust. The cylinders are brand new and installed at a reputable shop, but anything is certainly possible. Thanks!

Chris

Sounds like the impulse coupling clicking over. The sound will disappear above 1200 RPM or so...

1-2 Hz

at idle is about 1/5 - 1/10 engine rotation speed. __Seems like__ anything in the valve or accessory train is going to be many times that frequency.

Thermal expansion of something inside an Adel clamp, maybe?

I've also heard some very weird ticking and "crash cymbal" noises in my ANC headset as the squelch randomly breaks in flight from wind noise, etc.

Interested to know what you find out.

Never tried this on an airplane engine but maybe a mechanic's stethyscope would tell you something. On a bike or car, you will hear all sorts of different noises as you probe in different places. Might help narrow it down.

Tie 'er down good. :)

Aircraft engines are noisy, they tick, tap, tack, clack and clatter. I am an engine guy, and always listened to sounds, but after being around diesels, and then aircraft engines, they are just different, so unless you are tuned to a new sound, it is likely just normal unless it is REALLY , different, loud and ugly. If it is making power, and not making metal, all is good. An O-470 on shut down sounds like a bucket of large rocks in a clothes dryer.

O470....

Ahhh Bill.. The sweet sound of that O470 on our Cessna 180 was music to my ears. Fly it anywhere, even to farm pastures. Then one day my brother was heading for Dallas, mid route, BOOM, number six rod broke and my brother said it sounded like a "bucket of rocks in a clothes dryer". Glided to a rough landing in the most beautiful green field you ever saw, rice patty, 12" water.

Those O470's are still music to me though. John

Back