What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

S FL to KOSH. Stop recommendations

ERJDriver

Well Known Member
Trying to hit Oshkosh this year. Coming out of south FL. Looking for cool plalces to stop for cheap fuel and having food available on the field would be a bonus. Thanks!

Stop here for food

This would be best for the way back home. I found it in 2018 and went back in 2019 also.

C1A571C5-A758-4F30-A691-7C3ADF2DB935.jpeg

Great food!

Coming up from Vero Beach, I packed a sandwich which I ate at my second fuel stop in western Kentucky. I stopped in DeKalb IL for my last fuel stop before OSH. DeKalb always had hot dogs on the grill, cold water and chips for the OSH pilots.
I always stayed overnight in Carrolton GA on the way home because nobody leaves OSH before 10AM and the afternoon thunder storms are just getting started about the time you reach the Atlanta area. Carrolton has courtesy cars and town with hotels and restaurants is 3 miles away.

I found that the best planning goes out the window after departure. I used to always plan a Westerly and Easterly route so I could pick what I needed due to weather. I have almost never used much of the plan.
I just pick an un-towered airport of medium size. Usually has self-serve and a courtesy car. I run into town and pick up a sub and out again. Depending on weather I stop two or three times enroute. I do always seem to stop in Janesville KJVL before OSH to fuel.

I found that the best planning goes out the window after departure. I used to always plan a Westerly and Easterly route so I could pick what I needed due to weather. I have almost never used much of the plan.
I just pick an un-towered airport of medium size. Usually has self-serve and a courtesy car. I run into town and pick up a sub and out again. Depending on weather I stop two or three times enroute. I do always seem to stop in Janesville KJVL before OSH to fuel.

This! In our very early days, I used to work on "a set of plans" with one ideal and a left and right, with fuel stops etc... Then Tanya would come along and optimize for fuel prices. Then I met Rosie. "We're going to fly that way for a while until we see something we don't like, then we'll either turn or land." Tanya no longer really optimizes for fuel prices in a "complicated" cross country, which the run to OSH usually seems to be.

These days, I try not to look at weather or refuel locations until 3am the morning of launch. It is just a couple/few short hops after all. Heck, I think it was 2019 that, the morning of departure, there was a line of storms almost right over home. We filed a big complicated IFR out of home that started headed South, then West, then North! Picked up that clearance and ATC was at first "what the ... are you doing? Oh, I see now, I think I can help...."

Moral? Don't get too tied up on "plans", but the stop recommendations are valuable if they happen to work out :).

We can't wait to see the extended family in just a matter of weeks.

Last edited:
for me there nothing worst than being hungary and thirsty and needing a relief bottle. do your preplanning but don't be surprised if it changes. enjoy the trip.

Food stop

Bowling Green Kentucky . Nice Airport, overnight hangar if needed . The Montana Grill . Long walk , short Uber or pilot car .

In addition to JVL in southern WI, Watertown (KRYV) is a nice stop short of the FISK arrival. The FBO is really friendly, and it is a short walk to several food options.

Plan an Overnight

My preferred practice is to fly the first day and stop for an overnight about an hour from OSH. Dekalb, Illinois (KDKB) is my usual stop. After a delicious dinner and a good night’s rest, I take a taxi at 5:00 am to the airport. Departing at around 5:45 am I usually arrive at RIPON just before 7:00 am. Two out of three times I have been the only one on the arrival procedure all the way to touchdown at Airventure.

I have done it the other way and have had my fill of crowded skies and frequencies. “Never Again.”

Now that I have let the cat out of the bag, RIPON may be overcrowded at 7:00 am this year. :eek:

I won’t be at Airventure this year, but I do plan to use the above procedure the next time I attend.

Last edited:
From Clearwater FL(KCLW), I'd always leave after work on Friday & stop for an overnight in Winchester TN(KBGF). Cheap Fuel. They'd leave me the crew pickup truck keys, hit the mexican restaurant & I'd spend the night at the FBO. Beautiful setup. Next leg to De Kalb, IL(KDKB) for another cheap fuel stop & stretch. Short leg from there to Ripon.

5M9 KVYS KUNU I69

5M9 in Western KY has been a good stop for me. For any possible destination use FFlight or similar and read the airport and FBO comments.

Also I69, Clermont County, the home of Sporty’s is a regular stop for me.

Seems the non-towered self-serve airports might be more likely to have a 24 hour door combo (usually CTAF) and a recliner chair.

I’ve also stopped short and parked my RV at KVYS - Peru, IL., and KUNU, closer to Osh, for a couple of the Osh weeks. For those final legs I caught a ride into Osh.

Carl

Thanks for all the tips. Yeah I’m flexible on days and places to stop. Thought I’d reach out and see what recommendations you all had. I’ll keep all those in mind.

Any specific days to be sure to hit? Is it better to come mid week?

There is an early week Oshkosh and a late week Oshkosh. The early week has a lot of people flying in and camping, some starting even before the weekend. They come to see their friends and hit the vendors, forums, and workshops while everyone is still fresh and enthusiastic. I would guess most of the money changes hands with vendors early in the week. Many of the early week crowd start departing mid-week. The late week crowd includes more locals who come for the event, but are not necessarily pilots. The crowds seem largest on Friday and Saturday, but the vendor buildings are frequently sparsely occupied and the vendors are exhausted by the end of the week. It is probably easier to fly in mid-week and later, because inbound traffic is lighter. Remember, there are 2 night air shows, Wednesday and Saturday, and if this is your first visit, you will want to see one of those. It is all great fun. I have been attending for over 30 years, stay the whole week, and still look forward to it like Christmas every year! :D

Yeah I worked a booth for the week in 2017 back when I was a new CFI. definitely planning on camping and such

We can show up a day early of so correct? I know it starts the 26th, how early will the early arrivals be showing up? 24th, 25th?

Back