What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight to Heber UT, through Provo Pass

pmccoy

Well Known Member
All-

I recently had the pleasure of flying from Chino, CA up to Heber City, UT. Heber is the closest airport to Park City, where I wanted to spend the weekend. Since this trip goes around Las Vegas, Lake Meade and the Provo Pass, I decided to get the GoPro mounted up. Here is the resulting video.

With any luck, you will feel like you are flying along in the passenger seat. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNfg2hin1bA

Provo Pass.jpg

Great stuff, Pete! Your videos keep getting better and better. Breathtaking scenery there….I may have to to fly out that way when my aeroplane is done. :)

What kind of fuel burn/speed did you have at that altitude? I may have to get an O2 system at some point, but I'm gonna put a large fake mustache on the canula. :D

Come by sometime and check out my progress. I'm hanging the rudder tonight for the first time, and fabbing the rudder stops.

Doug-

What kind of fuel burn/speed did you have at that altitude? I may have to get an O2 system at some point, but I'm gonna put a large fake mustache on the canula.

I was averaging 145 to 150 knot TAS at WOT. RPM's were averaging around 2550. Altitude was 11,500 till MMM, then down to 9,500 for the rest of the flight. My fuel burn was 7gph. Ground speed varied with the wind, but it was running 175mph to 200mph.

On the flight up, it was 3 hours and 18 minutes, plus taxi time. Topping the tanks I needed 23.6 gallons. On the way home, about the same. Total time on the hobbs was 3.5 hours, and the tanks were topped with just over 23 gallons.

Very nice Peter. I was hoping you would post a new video soon. I needed a little more RV-9A cockpit time. ;-)

Great flight. Do you have an inflight pee system ? I find it hard to make it over 2 hours without relief :)

Peter, do you park the 9A with the flaps up?

Yes. I tend to raise the flaps just after landing, to get weight on the wheels and less lift in the wing. Could be an incorrect move, but I was taught that at some point, and it stuck with me. Old habits are hard to break. I don't use flaps for take off, unless I am heavy at a high density altitude airport. Which in my case happens all the time, as I fly out of Big Bear, CA frequently.

Great inflight clips BTW. You always sound like a pro on the radio.
After parking, do you out flaps back down?

Get a CFI Peter

Peter have you ever thought to become a flight instructor? Your videos are educational you are super articulate you would be a perfect teacher. Seriously.

CFI?

Peter have you ever thought to become a flight instructor? Your videos are educational you are super articulate you would be a perfect teacher. Seriously.

Interesting idea Vlad. I often lead software training sessions for my job. I actually love teaching people how to do things. When you see them 'get it' it's a great feeling when your the one in front of the class.

Very nice video, Peter. I enjoy "riding along..."

One question: your comment "mixture rich" at the 10-minute mark of the video, as you were entering the traffic pattern at (I'm estimating) 6500 feet, made me wonder if your plane runs well at a full rich setting up at that altitude...

Pete doesn't even have a mixture lever! He's got electronic fuel injection in his RV-9A.

Count me as another who loves seeing these video's, Pete!

Great video

Peter,

I have to agree with Vlad, you do really well in terms of explaining what you are doing and what his happening. Might be worth getting your CFI.

Great video. By the way, what do you use to mount the camera? You obviously change the view quite a bit, but the camera appears very steady.

Regards,

Fernando

My mixture is electronically controlled at all times. I have a potentiometer in the cockpit to increase the leaning during cruise flight. That's what I am resetting when I say mixture rich. It just puts it back to normal computer control. The system measures RPM, Manifold Pressure, Air Temp and Barometric Pressure as it determines the best mixture for all phases of flight. Really makes it easy when I am flying into high density altitude airports on a consistent basis. It's a Precision Eagle EMS system. It controls mixture and drives the electronic fuel injection as well.

The GoPro is mounted with an adapter from NFlightcam.com

Pete,

Love the videos. This one made me a little home sick. Grew up in Orem/Provo and love the Heber area. If I ever move back, it will be Heber.

Thanks for posting.

Great flight

Pete

Love the video. Could you share the GoPro settings with us that you use. Sure like the quality of your videos.

Love the video. Could you share the GoPro settings with us that you use. Sure like the quality of your videos.

Don, I am using a GoPro Hero3. 1080p Wide 30 fps.

Back