What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

200 MPH Club

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Okay, so the big engine RV boys get all excited about 200 knots, meaning, more or less, a thirty knot tailwind. Yup, worth getting excited about.

Yesterday, up at 9,500 (until I started getting the first hints of hypoxia -- yes, I know, lower altitude than many) I saw 155 KTAS, and 182 knots groundspeed. So I'm thinking -- maybe RV-9ers with 160 HP engines ought to have a 200 MPH club or something. 200 knots would be pretty hard to do.

Not sure what the RV-14 guys would do. 200 KMPH doesn't seem like much of a challenge for them, unless it's taxiing...

Ed

Aim higher, Ed. :) I have a screen shot of my RV-12 doing 201 MPH ground speed. Unfortunately I wasn't flying it at the time. All it took was a 60 kt. tailwind!

its all about finding that strong tailwind aloft. this was a 90 knot flow aloft. ;)

IMG_0164.png

Ed, pay no mind to those power monsters like DanH and g_zero. ;)

You don't need hundreds of ponies to join the 200kts club. Watch the weather and you'll find you day!

My 150hp RV-8 made its qualification in the 200kts club with a respectable 208kts (straight and level).

I'll concede some guys can get there with a lot less tailwind but 200kts is 200kts. The club doesn't descriminate.

My Taylorcraft would do 200 with enough tailwind - what does that prove?

If you want bragging rights, take a screenshot of 200 knots indicated in level flight. ;)

x-15 = Mach 6.7. RV speeds would be in the noise. enjoy the ride.... and the low cost!

Last edited:
I?ve wanted to join the 200mph RV Club and came pretty close today. Flew with a friend in his RV-12 today? 88 KTS IAS, 111 KTS TAS, and 160 KTS GS (184MPH) - 49 KTS tail wind at 14,000 MSL and 16F OAT.

Smoking fast for an RV-12?

i2ua78.png

that's moving on. fuel burn per hour?

5 Gal/hr for Rotax 912. The Dynon HDX shows "O.0" because the fuel flow transducer has intermittent electrical wiring connection to be fixed in the spring when weather warms up.

This photo taken at 13,000' going up to 14,000' MSL...

33ygk6p.png

Last edited:
Badges

I agree with Dan on this one, but I think the line was "Stinking Badges". I think that the 124 Kts. at 5.4 GPH. is a much better club to be a part of though. It gets us 700Nm. and still has plenty of fuel left in the tank, where-as burning 17.5-18 GPH does not last near as far with only 41 gallons useable on board. Must be a glitch in our system somewhere. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

200 knot club

Getting pushed by a Northwest 35 Knot tailwind on spring day
My passenger looked at the ground speed on my Garmin 296 and said 207 kts
“That’s great isn’t it”. I said yeah it is. 160 hp RV 6. Wood prop 155 kts indicated 2600 rpm
His return comment was “ Mine does that all the time”
Reality hits you in the face, , he has a Rocket��

Last edited:
I’ve been in the wrong face of those triple digit winter winds doing less than 300 knots ... in a Boeing, for hours on end, and even though those winds are in reality buying you (really nice) dinner, it feels like a Taylorcraft.

Pilots are pilots no matter the horsepower. :D

Speed sure is exhilarating BUT please be aware of yr VNE if you dive yr machine to get 200 kts across the ground, VNE is based on TAS not IAS when up high! There's plenty of info on VNE /TAS on the net.
I love my RV 8 doing three miles a minute, easy numbers and still beats most light A/C up there:)

at high altitude...

Did some checking with the newly re-pitched Sensenich (to 85 inch) at high altitude.

2700 rpm was almost full throttle at 12,500 ft (14,000 ft DA) and got that 200 mph number (174 kts) :)

oPx.jpg

Standard early RV-6A with a non-modified O-360-A1A engine.

Back