What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is your commute time to your RV?

Vlad

Well Known Member
How far is your airport?

The airport my RV is based on located approximately 60 miles from the place I work and live. If I use my crash pad across the Hudson it's only 51 mls. Roads are heavily tolled and traffic may get crazy in minutes. Usually when I am off I leave very early (between 4 and 5 am) when roads are clear and troopers still not in positions :) So far 40 minutes the fastest and 2 hours the slowest one way are my records.

Interesting to know how far other RVators drive?

14.5 miles. 25-30 min each way.

I'm OK with this drive to fly, as my commute to work is 17 seconds and doesn't require pants. ;^)

Last edited:
To the airport or to the hangar?
I'm actually ON the airport. 55' from the hangar.

Mel, that's a good one :D I missed that option. Can you as moderator add ON AIRPORT option to the poll?

At Planterra Ridge Golf Club, the airport is just off #5 fairway and i live on #13 so I guess the answer is 8 holes.

Mark

I moved 2 votes from "less than 5 miles" to "on airport".
That should take care of Ken & myself.

Just far enough

About a five minute golf cart ride house to hanger. Only time it's to far is when the tool I need is in the tool box at home. Life's tough!

Too Far

17 miles and 30 minutes for the working stiffs in this family with work the opposite direction 30-60 minutes. I need to start playing the lottery...

Three miles. We have had thoughts about moving but nothing would be as convenient; so we just remodeled the house.

Miles, minutes or......???

Interesting....to see how long before you decide to go flying... before you are back at home mowing the lawn etc. ( minus actual flight time).
My point; if you have a hangar, and/or leave all your gear in the plane, or live in a mild climate etc.
I generally average about 4 hours round trip to put :40 on the hobbs, but that's just me ( summer)
Winter, add an hour to shovel, de-ice, and warmup etc.
Let me estimate ;
check weather, notams, decide to go :15
find gear, load tools :20
drive to field :35
park, haul gear, do complete preflight :30
brief, ATIS, flight plan, warmup :15
fly
fuel, shut-down, tie-down, unload gear, secure :20
drive home :35
unload gear & stow :15
total 3:45
yeah, I guess I was about right! ( darn it!)

Really, really envy you airpark guys! I guess the downside is..... getting your fuel bill after flying 10 hours a month eh? :)

Right now, about 40 minutes.
However, we are building a home next to our 60 x 60 hangar which is 100 miles away. :confused: Go Figure.

1.5 miles: 4 stop signs, a train track, and a security gate. 5 minutes, plus a couple if there's a train...

In a former life...
ns3l2.jpg

Last edited:
Thirty or so feet from the front door to the hangar, and less than a half mile taxing to the runway.

Best part of the whole deal, my wife suggested we move here.

maps

Last edited:
5nm from my rooftop to the runway as the airplane flies.

About 8.5 miles by road, typically a 15 minute drive.

My hangar is in the yard, but I put it 1/4 mile out so I can make a little six string noise. You can hear a car door slam from 2 miles here.

You guys that live with your airplanes make me so jealous!

I get to live with my horses and drive :25 to my airplane.
Maybe someday the horses and airplane can coexist!!!
Or maybe I should build a stol plane to get out of my 700' of horse pasture and fly my little airplane to my RV....

I am envious of those who meansure their distance by feet! I am 13 miles and 20 minutes away from the airport! I was once on track to make it in 16 minutes, but then I got pulled over...:D

You guys that live with your airplanes make me so jealous!

I get to live with my horses and drive :25 to my airplane.
Maybe someday the horses and airplane can coexist!!!
Or maybe I should build a stol plane to get out of my 700' of horse pasture and fly my little airplane to my RV....

Horses and airplanes coexist on our ranch. The hangar and the 1,900 foot long strip is right out in front of the house. We normally try to keep our horses off the strip though. ;)

Horses and airplanes coexist on our ranch. The hangar and the 1,900 foot long strip is right out in front of the house. We normally try to keep our horses off the strip though.

I am just over 50 miles away (1 hour drive) but 75 feet from my boat (which I'm using less than my plane this year). The worst problem I have discovered is that the "computer weather" will indicate that it is not suitable for VFR but the view from my back deck is CAVU. Usually there isn't anyone at the airport office on the weekends to answer the phones and give me the real scoop so I'm hesitant to make the drive.

I?d like to be right on the airport but we are pretty lucky with the airport choices around my house. The airport we keep our Cessna150 at is 3.3 miles door to hanger 02C. The next closest airport is KMWC at 8.6 miles and we also have KUES at 10.3 miles.

Spitting distance

DR,
Live Gators, snakes Bald Eagles, Hawks and other assorted critters along with my RVX all are within a few hundred feet of La Hacienda, if that helps :)

Smokey

Interesting!!!

Looks like many are rubbing it in on how close they are to their planes. Let me add to that. Airport home at P19 in Chandler, AZ. Kitchen coffee pot to hangar door latches, 28 paces!!! I'm the second house in from the parallel taxiway.

Can't even think about living in a non air park environment. I believe an air park home is a positive investment, virtually everywhere in the US.

I am glad I am not alone :D Almost 5% RVators have their planes more then 50 miles away. I envy you guys who live closer. Today it took me over 2 hours to get back to work.

Last edited:
where to live

Live your dream???

In my youth I loved ice hockey.
So,,, out of college I moved to Aspen, Colorado. I did not have the smarts or talent to aford the vacations to ski and play hockey 24/7... I was not good enough to play professionaly. So i had to make do,,,,Lived in Aspen, wash dishes, chiped ice, house sit, and worked in the Ice Arena...I got to play Hockey and practice every day for 4 years,,,, cool.
Wanted to sail,,, no money or smarts to cruse on my own boat. SO,,, Moved to Tortola, BVI, found work there, not a bad gig. Had fun and sailed / lived abord for 18 years. Looked after other peoples boats.

Learned to fly in Tortola, BVI, Beef Island airport. Bought a C172, Bonanza P35 then a Cheorkee Six 300, ,,chartered those airplanes and made the $s work,sort of,,, but still had to skipper boats to make it pay.,,, got too old to be a charter sail boat skipper.
( sun)

Moved back to my roots, Fort Worth, Texas, in 1995.( Mom was here.) Built my dream airplane, a RV6. Built one of the first RV8 kits from Vans in Texas, sold both RV6 and RV8. The $$ from those two airplanes allowed me to buy another RV6 kit and the 'building lot' on my current airport, Hicks T67.
I have a 20' x 20' apartment in this hanger, it is not much, but it is warm, &clean, has a microwave, a toster, and a 2 burner hot plate. I get by.

I live in / on, the airport because I could not figure out how to make the money Ted Turner did,,, dang BUT!! I am having fun . Have a lot of airplane friends. Life is good and am happy to share it with other like minded people. Have hanger space and shower, for Vans RV pilots and SuperCub folk that need to be in Fort Worth for a night or two.

Iiveing on my airport, it is a necessiity. I do not afford a house.

Last edited:
11 minute drive; just enough that I'm really happy to have the cell phone operated pre-heater switch this winter:)

Open the door to the garage and then the door to the hanger. Ten feet. Then it is 50 feet to the hanger door opener.

Bruce Patton
RV-6A

Four miles door to door. 10 minutes by car or about 20 minutes by bicycle, unless the lift bridge is up, then add another 5 minutes to each.:)

Back