What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

formation safety

flyeyes

Well Known Member
Saw an interesting (non-RV) link this morning.

Reportedly two Cirrus SR22s collided while flying formation in Columbia. One landed with damage to the right inboard flap. The other went down in water under the CAPS parachute after losing the tail. No fatalities :)

Video here

actually there are...

several in fact. from T-clones to operational flying, there are fender benders, more like wingtip and stabilator benders, an occasional rudder. just like the Pk of the ground isn't actually zero. but i wouldn't recommend either for longevity or keeping your underwear clean.

I had a friend in my reserve squadron who flew for the Blues when they had A4's. He mentioned they traded paint as he called it quite often. The big difference however might have been the lack of a giant fan at the front of the A4.

George

internet info..... interesting

just googled the tail #N610BG; shows the flight originated in Ft. lauderdale, destination Sangster int'l Jamaica, if that makes sense. ( from Flightaware)

curious how the video, from what...a coast guard chopper? shows the parachute still inflated, perhaps keeping the plane from sinking? but certainly pulling it along. Never easy to get out of an aircraft nose down in the ocean; I hope the reports are correct and they got out ok!

Formation safety - serious business

2rwome0.jpg

Back