What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fine Wire Plug to Replace RHM40E

walkman

Well Known Member
I need to purchase some replacement plugs. I'm running a normally aspirated O-360 and run 100LL exclusively.

I have a little bit of a fouling issue. I'm going to be going 1/2 EI very soon, but I have a couple of bad plugs and want to put in 4 new aviation plugs that I will retain post EI upgrade.

I currently run RHM40E. I was looking for a replacement plug that is fine wire. However I don't find an RHM40S, is the "38" plug being colder going to make any difference?

What is a good plug to use?

Should I have my new magneto harness made up to use "E" rather than "H" ends on the plugs? Is having "H" ends restricting my plug choices?

Last edited:
i am about to install 38s...

i will be installing 38s in exactly the scenario you have, will let you know how it turns out. my research here and elsewhere made it sound like 38s is a great solution to our mutual problem.

I ran nothing but 40E's for decades in my airplanes without problems. Then I started getting engines from Mattituck with 37BY's, and have been very impressed with them - the extended nose seems to be much less prone to fouling, and they seem to help the engine run smoother LOP. They are still a massive-electrode plug, and a lot cheaper than fine-wires....might just put them on your list of options to think about.

Paul

I've also been running -37BYs for many years. They work great for me.

Either way, clean and gap them every 50 hours or so, and check resistance.

Biggest deal is how you use that red knob.

As Paul suggested good plugs run nicely LOP.

There is no magic here..... Do it all right :)

I ran nothing but 40E's for decades in my airplanes without problems. Then I started getting engines from Mattituck with 37BY's, and have been very impressed with them - the extended nose seems to be much less prone to fouling, and they seem to help the engine run smoother LOP. They are still a massive-electrode plug, and a lot cheaper than fine-wires....might just put them on your list of options to think about.

Paul

As note, I need H plugs. I can't find an RHM 37BY only REM. so, it sounds like my H leads might be restricting my plug choices?

Back