- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you use the IFR capability of your RV?
YES (file IFR) 236 72.84%
NO 88 27.16%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2020, 09:15 PM

Default IFR Is Awesome

I love having the peace of mind that my aircraft is IFR. Just knowing that I can fly an approach through a layer rather than scud run is worth every penny. It also adds to the resale value. And if I am flying into congested airspace or class B, filing IFR makes things so incredibly easy. And lastly, even flying VFR I use my IFR to backup my VFR approaches. Flying into a big new airport at night? intercepting and tracking a localizer to my landing runway gives me a warm fuzzy knowing I'm lined up on the correct runway. I see no downside to IFR qualified and equipped. And keep in mind, you don't have to file IFR, just having the capability is comforting should you need it.

Last edited by Frankster13 : 12-27-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Avgas View Post

The poll for this thread was taken 13 years ago
The poll was started a long time ago however, runs continuously still today. The data are what they are.

I am the OP. It was just a simple question regarding if folk use the IFR capability in their RV or not.
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster13 View Post
I love having the peace of mind that my aircraft is IFR. Just knowing that I can fly an approach through a layer rather than scud run is worth every penny. It also adds to the resale value. And if I am flying into congested airspace or class B, filing IFR makes things so incredibly easy. And lastly, even flying VFR I use my IFR to backup my VFR approaches. Flying into a big new airport at night? intercepting and tracking a localizer to my landing runway gives me a warm fuzzy knowing I'm lined up on the correct runway. I see no downside to IFR qualified and equipped. And keep in mind, you don't have to file IFR, just having the capability is comforting should you need it.
Your speaking my language

After living and flying in Alaska for 30 years, I'm anxious to use all these gadgets to make life easier, plus it's fun!

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Sliding canopy mostly completed 10/2020
Wiring in progress
Donated for 2021 and so should you
Old 12-28-2020, 07:55 PM

Default Worth it if you go x-country

Just made a trip from Baton Rouge to Hot Springs and back. Weather was perfect until time for the return flight. We filed IFR, climbed to 7000 and had a beautiful flight over the deck back home. Canceled before landing since it was VFR in BTR. Can be much safer than flying marginal VFR if you're careful and take it seriously.

Staying current takes effort, but you'll be a much better pilot. John
Old 12-29-2020, 08:06 AM

Yes, still using my ifr rating. With improved equipment upgrades since 07 ( adsb, G5s, synthetic vision, wass gps ) the fun and function is better. Definitely a challenging rating to get but worth it if you plan on long trips.
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - under major repair from hurricane damage
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 12-29-2020, 10:29 PM

Default Increased Utility

My experience in general aviation is that having an IFR capable airplane adds significant utility. Most of my interstate trips have required flying through a layer or two and a few have ended with an approach procedure in IMC.

Though I prefer not to fly single engine at night or in LIFR, it’s good to have the capability should it become necessary.

After equipping the airplane, the maintenance cost is reasonable @ $300/yr for GTN updates, $100/yr Foreflight and $400 biannually for 91.411 & .413 checks.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:35 PM

Default where I visit in Los Angeles

Where I fly in Los Angeles, we get that June Gloom that is only 1000 feet thick, but means an IFR departure or arrival for that last 1000 feet.
I plan to finish my IFR rating (last 10 hours or so) in my new plane and then not sweat arrivals.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 35% canopy done for now
Electrical 65% in work
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 12-31-2020, 11:02 AM

Default IFR in RVs

Indeed. And one of the under-appreciated advantages of experimental aircraft is that they can be equipped for full-function GPS IFR flight (relatively) cheaply. The required certified GPS navigator is always going to be pricey, obviously, and the data subscriptions for them cost the same but practically everything else gets materially cheaper, especially autopilots. And you can save on installation costs of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
After equipping the airplane, the maintenance cost is reasonable @ $300/yr for GTN updates, $100/yr Foreflight and $400 biannually for 91.411 & .413 checks.
2021 Dues Paid
Old 01-02-2021, 09:07 AM

Quite a bit! I fly IFR a lot around the Pacific Northwest inspecting aircraft. I try to avoid Ice like the plague, but sometimes it is there even when forecasts say no. I have anti icing vents (very important) and also keep a jaundiced eye on the manifold pressure gauge, any reduction makes me spring loaded to pull the alternate air knob. Otherwise, with dual G3X on dual ADHRS, dual busses and dual battery back up, GTN 650, and Garmin autopilot, it is a push button aircraft. Flying IFR without autopilot is a bit "twitchy". Can be done very safely if pilot is current and knows how to deal with partial panel loss and can fly on "back up".

DAR Gary
Old 01-02-2021, 09:51 AM

To build in IFR capabilities or not.....

My motto, "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."
Donation Happily Made 2021