Getting back to this project. Tim did a great job machining this part. There a few things I would do different on this part if I were to do it again. Those are a thinner flange, lightening holes and a smaller flange OD. The part is strong like bull but it is also heavier than i would like it. The transition from inside the filter to the servo is nice.
Continuing with the experiment.
I decided to mount the unit floating on the servo side and the cowl side. In order to do that I cut holes on the carbon fiber cone and filed a spot on the adapter. One of the holes was for clearance on the alternator bracket. The other one was for the starter. That will allow for clearance while components are moving around. For the first experiment, I will use a 3 inch SCAT hose. Allowing approx 1/4 inch between the parts so it can flex/float.
trying to get weight off.
After figuring out clearance and mounting issues. Pics make the part look like they need more clearance but they look ok in real life.
Cowl is kind of painful to put on now. I have to push the filter assembly towards the firewall while trying to fit the hose on the cowl inlet. But it makes for a nice transition. Future test may use different materials. I wanted something fairly strong at the beginning to make sure the filter assemble could be supported.