-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:58 AM

Default Sealing carbon fiber plenum with RTV?

I after the annual is done on the -4, I am planning to improve the sealing of the carbon fiber plenum. We have one made of several pieces of overlapped, dull carbon fiber; not a shiny 1-piece plenum. The areas of overlap don?t have any gaskets; just carbon sheet on sheet and I planned to apply a bead of high temp RTV during reassembly to seal it up a bit.

Are there any reaction / interaction issues with silicone RTV being applied to dull carbon fiber sheets? I mention dull since the glossy, finish grade carbon sheets likely have a thick enough layer of epoxy where the carbon isn?t really in play for such a situation.

Thx
Old 04-29-2020, 07:46 AM

Using RTV will mean you will not be able to repair the baffling ever - the resin will not stick to a surface that has seen a silicone based product. Good quality duct tape might act as a thin gasket of you are worried about sealing. Doesn't matter if the carbon has a layer of epoxy giving it a shine, the silicone will penetrate and prevent anything bonding. If duct tape is too thin how about a strip of cork?
Old 04-29-2020, 08:15 AM

How about UHMW tape? Same as used on the flaps. Flyboy Accessories has the good stuff that does not "yellow".
https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/Pa...ilm-p/2301.htm
2020 VAF SUPPORTER
Old 04-29-2020, 12:37 PM

I?d stay away from silicone for the reason mentioned. How about a thin foam tape? The foam would take up any gap up to the thickness of the tape.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Retired Aerospace Engineer and A&P/IA
Old 04-29-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshball View Post
I after the annual is done on the -4, I am planning to improve the sealing of the carbon fiber plenum. We have one made of several pieces of overlapped, dull carbon fiber; not a shiny 1-piece plenum. The areas of overlap don?t have any gaskets; just carbon sheet on sheet and I planned to apply a bead of high temp RTV during reassembly to seal it up a bit.

Are there any reaction / interaction issues with silicone RTV being applied to dull carbon fiber sheets? I mention dull since the glossy, finish grade carbon sheets likely have a thick enough layer of epoxy where the carbon isn?t really in play for such a situation.

Thx
I have been using this between my carbon fiber plenum and the aluminum baffles. so far it is working well.

https://www.mcmaster.com/85925K205
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:46 PM

There are all sorts of paintable caulk/sealants at the hardware store. PRC sealant (fuel tank or fairing sealant) is very paintable also.

F4 Raider project with RV-8 wings and tail
Old 05-01-2020, 06:25 AM

Thx for the suggestions folks.