Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2020, 11:11 AM

Been working on some other projects but wanted to continue with this one yesterday.

I was trying to figure out how the air filter would seal on the cone flange. The filter has a small ridge. Figured I would mix some micro and make a perfect seal.

I put tape on the filter in case i made a mess, then waxed the rubber part of the filter.

I then mixed up micro with caboseal (spelling?) to keep the micro from running. I then applied the micro on to the cone flange and shaped the micro into a triangle. This will insure that when the 2 surfaces meet, there is squeeze out and no empty pockets form.

Then put both part together and set a 15 lbs prop crush plate on top to squeeze out the micro and keep the rubber flange straight.

The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:59 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

I have had good luck in the past using compressed air to get parts off/out of the mold.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-10-2020, 09:06 AM

Default Solidworks Mold Function

Hi Guys,

I've been exploring SolidWorks for a little while, for making parts, and molds for parts.

I'm not sure if everyone is aware, but SolidWorks has a function for creating a female mold for the part you have designed. You can specify the offset from the part you have designed in SolidWorks, and if will create a female mold with that offset.

For SolidWorks 2019 it is under Insert --> Molds.

Great feature.

-Dan
Dues 2021 ✅
Old 04-15-2020, 10:39 AM

The project has been moving forward. After talking with a few folks, Tim Feeney wanted to give it a go. He is on VAF (TFeeney) and an RV-10 builder. We decided to go with aluminum as the material. There were many questions that I did not expect which required answers before moving forward. Probably pretty basic questions for folks in the machining business but not for me. Goes back to the learning part of EXPERIMENTAL.

Tim can be reached here if you need machining work:

Tim Feeney – Director of Engineering
Aerospace Solutions Group
7000 Airport Drive, Suite 204, Sellersburg, IN 47172
O: 812-246-1656

picture of current work below.

The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.

Last edited by AX-O : 04-16-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:04 AM

Drawing.

Finished product. The only difference is that I decided to make the flange the same size as the filter OD.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:06 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Looks good, another new skill

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-16-2020, 05:56 PM

Default More copies

I?m looking forward to hearing how this works out for Axel.
Thanks for letting us get involved - it?s a fun project!

If there is additional interest, just let me know. We?d be happy to make more.

Tim
Systems and electrical...
Old 05-17-2020, 11:23 AM

Getting back to this project. Tim did a great job machining this part. There a few things I would do different on this part if I were to do it again. Those are a thinner flange, lightening holes and a smaller flange OD. The part is strong like bull but it is also heavier than i would like it. The transition from inside the filter to the servo is nice.

Continuing with the experiment.
I decided to mount the unit floating on the servo side and the cowl side. In order to do that I cut holes on the carbon fiber cone and filed a spot on the adapter. One of the holes was for clearance on the alternator bracket. The other one was for the starter. That will allow for clearance while components are moving around. For the first experiment, I will use a 3 inch SCAT hose. Allowing approx 1/4 inch between the parts so it can flex/float.

trying to get weight off.

After figuring out clearance and mounting issues. Pics make the part look like they need more clearance but they look ok in real life.

Cowl is kind of painful to put on now. I have to push the filter assembly towards the firewall while trying to fit the hose on the cowl inlet. But it makes for a nice transition. Future test may use different materials. I wanted something fairly strong at the beginning to make sure the filter assemble could be supported.

Last edited by AX-O : 05-17-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:24 PM

[quote=RV8JD;1431073]I think you are getting caught by the same thing Martin ("goatflieg") was in another thread. Remove the "-no?authuser=0" from the end of the pic address

Thank you.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:54 PM

When I read "HOW TO GUIDE" I thought it was how to use the 3D printer. I really need to decide which one to buy for a newbie to start learning how to do these things on rainy days or this summer when it's super hot and I can't work outside on the airport.
Sadly sold my RV-8 N52VM however I'm still trying to enjoy life by creating an airport with FREE campsites for pilots to come visit www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ WHILE WAITING FOR THE HIGH WING RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.