What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 3 Rudder Stiffeners

RV3Kev

The 5/8" stiffeners need to be trimmed at an angle to clear the rudder skin on the other side. The plans call for 2.5" but these are for 1/2 stiffeners. I have read on the plans clarification site that 3.125" provides the same ratio. But in reality, 6" inches is required as per David Paule comments. Can any confirm that this is the case before I start cutting them?

Also the plans call for Rod ends center to be located 3/4" off from the Rudder spar. The problem is that I can't turn the jamb nut any closer to the bearing end. I can get to 26/32" compared to the target of 24/32"

Thank

Not extending the taper far enough means that the flange edge will hit the skin. I think I discovered it when I tried to bend the trailing edge since I remember needing to slightly overbend to provide for springback. That's when you need the taper.

Check before riveting the flanges on because otherwise it'll be a real pain.

It's interesting... the bend needs to be somewhat open to backrivet the flanges but bent to verify that the taper will work. There will be many such issues ahead.

Dave

Back