What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another student-built RV-12 start-up

videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
Chapter Number 4 begins today in Omaha. AviationNation, Inc enters its third state (Nebraska, now with Indiana and Texas) with the delivery of their RV-12 tail kit. Jim Beyer, recently retired Air Force pilot and now United pilot, will be the Chief Mentor. Look for more start-ups in the next couple of weeks.

We are thrilled to be able to offer more and more students this great opportunity. If you have aspirations of starting something big, working with students might just be for you. Let me know what you would like to do. See our page https://www.facebook.com/groups/Aviation.Nation.Projects/ for more info, or PM me.

Bob

Hi folks,

We're super excited to begin this journey with the student builders.

If the link below doesn't work, please try this one:

https://facebook.com/aviation.nation.omaha/

If you are local to Omaha metro area, we're holding a mentor meeting on Tuesday, 3/14/2017 at 6:30 pm at the Millard airport. And if you're not local and would like to be part of the project, let's chat.

Fly safe,

Jim

Don't and won't ever do Facebook. Congrats on your start up. Best to you.:cool:
It is indeed really, really annoying for those of us who do not have a FB account. I can see about half the page with Chrome, the other half being covered with a FB nag screen.

That said -- Jim, nice work getting this put together. I'll try to make the meeting and help out where I can.

Great kick-off event this afternoon!

The tool box bench and shelves are assembled and the empennage kit and tools inventoried. This coming week each student will build their own practice tool box kit, then it's onto the real thing! Thanks to everyone who has been a part of making this happen, especially the 'big kids' (aka mentors) in back who are teaching and mentoring these fine young adults.

243135k.jpg

Good start

Congrats on getting started!

I am a Mentor with the Hillsboro Or Teen Flight now on plane #5
A unique and rewarding venture for mentors and students.
What is most gratifying is the group of "graduates" who come back to be mentors with the next group!
Thanks again to Van for starting it!
Jim Frisbie
RV 9A

This build is off to a really good start! Jim and I have been talking about this for almost two years, and he has really done the groundwork well. As you can see in the picture, there is no shortage of mentors, nor students.

I am looking forward to meeting some of these folks at Oshkosh, and to visiting the program. Jim, came to Columbus, IN, and saw how they are doing it, and we plan on doing the same. Anyone interested in seeing the Columbus project is invited. It will be in the school (Columbus North) until the end of the school year, then move to the airport, BAK.

Look for another startup within two weeks, in Nashville, and more (maybe many more) in the coming months. We at AviationNation feel very blessed to be able to work with these outstanding people, and to bring a new generation into the aviation community. We are hard at work updating our program to that end.

Bob

February 20, 2021: The AviationNation-Omaha RV-12iS project took flight! In all 31 students helped with the project over the 3+ year build. We met twice per week for two hours...plus three trips to Oshkosh, a covid delay, etc...it took a while but the students and mentors persevered.

WOWT news clip from last evening.

All the credit goes to the student builders and mentors.

Keep pulling (or pounding) those rivets!

Fly safe,
-Jim

Attachments

• 6FE9A46D-A36D-4A03-A00C-1CC8624693E9.jpeg
    6FE9A46D-A36D-4A03-A00C-1CC8624693E9.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 265
  • B49B04CD-8F22-4232-B6EA-C2F2BFE2BF0C.jpeg
    B49B04CD-8F22-4232-B6EA-C2F2BFE2BF0C.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 292
So cool! Congrats. I bought a teen build rv-12 out of Yuma, CA. Great build, great visibility, low operating costs, and a sweet flying airplane. Do you have plans for paint?

Back