Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2021, 11:46 PM

Your old (non-ADSB) transponder reveals your identity as well. I have had departure call me by N number to see if I was on frequency and aware of departing traffic.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneAge View Post
Your old (non-ADSB) transponder reveals your identity as well. I have had departure call me by N number to see if I was on frequency and aware of departing traffic.
If you mean by "old" non-ADS-B transponder = Mode S transponder, then sure. Mode S is always gives out your N number. Always has. Even if squawking VFR. Legacy Mode C does not ever give out your N number. It's not even possible for Mode C to do that. Now, if you are squawking an issued discreet code (i.e. not squawking VFR) then ATC knows you from that code, which has been the whole point of radar surveillance and transponder discreet codes since the 1960's. But if you have a Mode C transponder and were squawking VFR without establishing radio communication with ATC then ATC got your identity some other way, but not through your transponder or radar reflection.

Last edited by jliltd : 01-12-2021 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:58 AM

Default The information is given out way too readily

I am all for the FAA and air traffic control knowing my N number and where I am. The part that bugs me is that every small detail of your flight is know to every individual on the planet with apps installed such as Flight Aware. Friends of mine will call me and say, how was your flight today? Friendly enough, but if the app notifies them when I move the aircraft, others with nefarious intentions will too. Great time to rob this guys house, we know that he is not home. How would the general public feel if there was a GPS tracker on their car or boat and its position constantly given to the world? They would be up in arms. Currently, that requires a warrant. Why should we be any different? Why can't the information be kept to use by the agencies to benefit the safety of the skies, and keep our privacy to some extents?
Victoria, TX
Old 01-12-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 219PB View Post
Why can't the information be kept to use by the agencies to benefit the safety of the skies, and keep our privacy to some extents?
Because the complexity of a system necessary to provide the equivalent level of tracking and monitoring that ADS-B does, and keep that information private to ATC, would drive the cost into the range of unreasonability.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Because the complexity of a system necessary to provide the equivalent level of tracking and monitoring that ADS-B does, and keep that information private to ATC, would drive the cost into the range of unreasonability.
actually, it's not complex at all. The FAA just needs to stop making aircraft registration details available to the public. To my knowledge, it is the only vehilcle registration information that is publicly available. Try finding owner information based upon an auto license plate number or serial number. Yes, it is available to various civil organizations and therefore open to some abuse, but you can't just look it up on the internet.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
I simple click of an opt-out selection. Not that complex. Heard through the grapevine that certain individuals have the ability to keep their flights private. Might just be a conspiracy theory.
Victoria, TX
Old 01-12-2021, 11:59 AM

The opt-out you mention is simply for public systems but does not apply to private tracking companies like FlightAware, other private sites or individuals with ground receivers. Your airplane is talking directly to their receivers with your N Number so that's what they get. If you are 1090ES the FAA has started a program where you can use "call signs" instead of N-Numbers but in order to do that you have to sign up with a subscription to a third-party service provider that charges big bucks. So that will only be a practical option for multi-millionaire business jets or charter companies. If you go UAT with Mode C then full anonymity is free when squawking VFR but that goes away when you squawk a discreet code.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I simple click of an opt-out selection. Not that complex. Heard through the grapevine that certain individuals have the ability to keep their flights private. Might just be a conspiracy theory.
How's that working out for you? (Recent flight of N219PB)

"Opt out" doesn't do much when you transmit your position on 1090 MHz for anyone to see.

Joe Dubner
RV-8A
Independence, OR
Old 01-13-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I simple click of an opt-out selection. Not that complex.
Actually, it is. The system necessary to let you click an opt-out selection doesn't exist, and would need to be developed. It's debatable whether the ADS-B hardware that everyone was convinced to install over the last few years could even provide such an anonymized level of service, allow ATC to identify you, and block all others from seeing your identity.