What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

floating nutplates for wingtip attach?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
I know that they're more expensive etc. but I have about 100 #6 floating nutplates in my hardware stash.

Thinking about using them on the wingtips since I already have them.

Is there anywhere later on in the build that I might really wish I had saved these?

There is no high usage of floating #6 nutplates in a standard build. Even if there was, they would be in the kit. You may use some in the panel since #6 is common in that area. Since that area is totally up to the builder, it is up to you.

Use those floaters as you see fit.

General Observation on #6 screws

This standard has the lowest ratio of outside diameter to root diameter.

Back in the '70's, I was cautioned by guys that worked for Lockheed Vega (prototype dept) that #6 screws could fail on removal due to a small accumulation of corrosion increasing the torque sufficient to cause the screw to shear.

I don't think much has changed in this area, since then.

YMMV

Yeah, I've twisted a few off in my day. I'm not normally a fan, but for wingtips I think I can get by with them. If at some point in the future I bust a few it isn't the end of the world.

They are also in the under wing inspection panels into the spar flange, which I'm really not crazy about.

#6 screws could fail on removal due to a small accumulation of corrosion increasing the torque sufficient to cause the screw to shear.

Or strip the head and need to be drilled out. Yep, BTDT more than once.

Beeswax on the threads will make life a lot easier if you decide to use the #6 screws. I didnt have any failures of #6 screws after I started using the beeswax.

Last edited:
Back