What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to Replace VS Rear Spar Doubler?

RV701775

I would like to replace only the VS-808PP spar doubler on my rear spar. There were some edge distance issues after I was overly aggressive with edge finishing. How can I replace only this part since it has already been drilled in combination with the ribs, hinge brackets and spar?

I was considering clecoing the old doubler over the new one and drilling through the old one first.

Would this work very well? Any other ideas to get the holes to line up?

Doubler

I would like to replace only the VS-808PP spar doubler on my rear spar. There were some edge distance issues after I was overly aggressive with edge finishing. How can I replace only this part since it has already been drilled in combination with the ribs, hinge brackets and spar?

I was considering clecoing the old doubler over the new one and drilling through the old one first.

Would this work very well? Any other ideas to get the holes to line up?

If it's like the 7, it's match drilled by CNC. Should line up perfectly without any special drilling.

It is a -7. So just ream it or drill it without match drilling (e.g. clamp it to the table)? I would rather not drill it with the spar since the holes will enlarge. Thanks!

Are you asking about how to drill out the universal head rivets? I'm not visualizing how you can cleco a new part on top of an already riveted part.

Make sure you are measuring edge distance from the center of the rivet. That doubler is a pretty beefy piece of aluminum with a lot of rivets. You may do more damage removing the rivets.

I haven't riveted it yet. I was just doing the edge finishing and took too much off the two tips at the top so the radius is less then 1/4in. I would like to try it again without replacing the rear spar.

Call vans

I think a call to Vans is warranted. Maybe even email a picture before you call. What you have may be OK verses enlarging all the holes trying to match drill a new plate.

Spar

It is a -7. So just ream it or drill it without match drilling (e.g. clamp it to the table)? I would rather not drill it with the spar since the holes will enlarge. Thanks!

A call to Vans would be in order. Please let us know what they say.
I replaced an HS spar because of a messed up hole performing the SB. I reamed the holes. When I installed it, every hole fell right into place. I'm curious if they tell you to do the same.

Back