What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel endorsement

As the title says, looking for a course in the N.E.

Take a look at the IAC-International Aerobatic Club website. If I remember correctly, I think there are some listings for instructors that includes tailwheel training.

tailwheel training

taildraggersinc.com lists some. Van Sant airport north of Philly still has a J3 and Stearman last I heard.

I began my training at Aeroflex but had to stop after almost a year!!! They seemed too busy to be of any value. I was not able to get a lesson any more often than once every other week or so for one hour at a time. And if you got weathered, you went right back to the end of the cue. It became a completely useless pace to try to get a relatively simple endorsement. I ended up going to Florida and getting my transition training AND TW endorsement from Jan Bussel (sp??) in 2 1/2 days. And I felt great about the experience. Night and day different from what I was getting at Aeroflex.

My first RV grass strip was Van Sant. Really cool place in terms of grass roots type of flying. Lots of tail draggers around. If you can get there, it might be worth a look.

Andy

Last edited:
I don't disagree with Andy about Andover Flight Academy-- it's a small operation, and they only have a few instructors. I was patient, and lived nearby, so it worked for me. I thought the quality of the instruction was generally good. I got my TW endorsement in the Super Cub, and then got a Stearman checkout.

When I finally bought my RV7, I based it at Aeroflex and got instruction in the RV with one of the on staff instructors who had RV time. It all worked out quite well for me, but you do need to be flexible.

I have also gotten instruction from Jan Bussel and he's very good, although I dislike the Vernier throttle set up in his RV6.

Need one? Call armondo 9087222778 (nj)

Do you have a website or more information, location etc? Hard to get a sense of what you offer, or whom you are before initiating the call.......

I have TW in a Citabria and some Pitts time, but might need transition in a -6/7 for insurance purposes.....

Last edited:
Back