What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N Number re-size?

Hoserf16

I'm New Here
Howdy. Apologies if THABP, but darn if I can find anything on it... I Have a previously loved RV-7A and just got my own N number approved. Currently she has 12-inch numbers painted on. If I'm reading the FARs correctly experimentals are authorized 3-inch numbers regardless of date built. But is there are prohibition on downsizing when if already using 12-inch? It speaks to requiring 12-inch numbers when repainting for certificated even if grandfathered in by virtue of manufactured before requirement. Does that apply to us too?

And on that note, anybody have experience with creating a vinyl overlay to cover the existing numbers and display new ones that I can use until when and if I repaint?

Last edited:
No, because the allowance for the use of 3 “ registration numbers isn’t under a grandfather claus.
The only benefit you had in having 12” numbers is that you were already in compliance for operations within the ADIZ if you chose to make international flights.

And on that note, anybody have experience with creating a vinyl overlay to cover the existing numbers and display new ones that I can use until when and if I repaint?

How about 2 vinyl layers? A background layer of either contrasting or matching body color with the lettering applied on top of that.

Back