What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Condition Inspection Findings

N941WR

Legacy Member
It has been over 11 years since I first flew my RV-9.

In that time I have changed the engine (O-290 to O-360) due to a prop strike. Last year I found a crack on my engine mount and replaced that.

I started my Condition Inspection on Friday night and so far so good. Compression on all four Cylinders are normal. Last year #3 was low and I was using oil like crazy. Just recently I noticed my oil consumption was back to normal and sure enough, the sparkplugs were all dry and the compression was back to "normal".

Last year I replaced the O-ring on the gascolator and lubricated it with fuel lube, which I would always do. This year I removed the unused plug on the gascolator and it pulled right off.

After the gascolator was reinstalled I decided to "bleed" the fuel pressure line. Over the past year I would get low fuel pressure warnings on my EFIS and have replaced the wire, sensor, etc. and it would still come back on occasion but once the engine warmed up, it would go away and not come back on. Also, even though it would read 1 PSI in a full power climb, the engine never sagged, so I know it was getting plenty of fuel.

So, this morning I turned on the electric fuel pump and started loosing the plug on the "manifold" that holds the fuel pressure sensor until fuel started coming out. I was surprised at how long it took for fuel to come streaming out, once it first bubbled. With fuel leaking out, I tightened the plug back up and then turned off the fuel pump and master.

I will report back, once I'm flying again to let you know if this solved my low fuel pressure readings.

FWF, less brakes and wheels is complete.

The only maintenance issue is I will have to replace one of the neoprene tubes to connect my plenum to the Sam James cowl.

Regardless if you have a taildragger or nosewheel, please remember to put a torque wrench on the gear leg nuts (wrench on the bolt.) And make sure they are tight.

One thing I did years ago was to replace every nylock nut with metal locknuts FWF. Especially on the brakes, these can get surprisingly hot and start working their way off.

It has been over 11 years since I first flew my RV-9.

In that time I have changed the engine (O-290 to O-360) due to a prop strike. Last year I found a crack on my engine mount and replaced that.

..snip..

After the gascolator was reinstalled I decided to "bleed" the fuel pressure line. ..snip..

Please be careful here - air in the fuel pressure line is highly unlikely to be the cause of low fuel pressure alerts. You may actually _have_ low fuel pressure, perhaps plumbing in a temporary mechanical pressure gauge would be a good way to figure out if you have an instrumentation problem or a real issue.

Please be careful here - air in the fuel pressure line is highly unlikely to be the cause of low fuel pressure alerts. You may actually _have_ low fuel pressure, perhaps plumbing in a temporary mechanical pressure gauge would be a good way to figure out if you have an instrumentation problem or a real issue.
If it was a pump issue, the long taxi I have to the end of the runway, along with waiting for the temps to come up, would have exhausted the fuel in the carb about halfway to the end of the runway. (I tested it once withe fuel valve turned off because I wanted to see if I was ever at risk of taking off with the valve in the off position and I'm not even close.)

No, I don't think it is the fuel pump but if blessing the line doesn't solve it, the only thing left is to replace the fuel pump.

No fuel has gone overboard via the drain line, so I know the pump's diaphragm is not compromised.

Last edited:
Question

Sorry, Not a condition inspection question. I am also in process of building a 9. How are you liking the o-360? If you had to do it again would you still use that engine?

Sorry, Not a condition inspection question. I am also in process of building a 9. How are you liking the o-360? If you had to do it again would you still use that engine?

Best engine bang for your buck when you also take into consideration low maintenance issues. I've had them on many of the aircraft I've owned.

I love the engine. I just know Van's position on the 360 on the 9, and I am wanting to put one on when I finally get the Fuselage done. I am trying to decide on that and the 320.

I love the engine. I just know Van's position on the 360 on the 9, and I am wanting to put one on when I finally get the Fuselage done. I am trying to decide on that and the 320.

My comment is based on the engine on airframes designed for the engine. I don't know anything about putting a 360 on a RV-9, plus I'm not an aeronautical engineer or a test pilot so I always defer those kinds of decisions to the people who design the airplane.

First, Van's does not recommend this engine for the -9. This was been discussed many times in this forum. Try using the Advanced Search function.

The 360 is about 20 pounds heavier than the 320. I have a fixed pitch Catto prop, so my combined weight is less than a 320 with a fixed pich metal prop. If you ever want a CS prop, it should be a composite prop.

Remember, the -9 is limited to a GW of 1750, you will have to build extremely light and not go crazy with needless options, like a flap position sensor, backup batteries, alternators, BRS, etc.

With those limitations, I am very pleased with it and don't cruise at 75% power because it will drink fuel at that setting. Typical cruise for me is 150 to 160 knots while burning between 5.2 and 7.2 GPH, Depending on altitude, leaning, TAS, etc.

Condition inspection completed and logbooks signed.

The only thing that needed to be replaced was the right side neoprene tube that goes from the aluminum inlet to the cooling plenum on my Sam James cowl.

With the two engine runs I performed, the fuel pressure was perfect. So, bleeding the fuel pressure line may have solved that annoying issue. I won't know until I fly it. That may have to wait until next weekend as we are supposed to get three days of rain here in the upstate of South Carolina.

Where does one get replacements for the neoprene tubes/sleeves that go on James cowls?

Try a local dive shop and don't forget the glue.

Amazon does have it, if you can't find it locally.

I have cut it to size with both a sharp utility knife and the rotary knife I use for fiberglass cloth.

...With the two engine runs I performed, the fuel pressure was perfect. So, bleeding the fuel pressure line may have solved that annoying issue. I won't know until I fly it...

Please don't forget to update us, interested in knowing the results of that fuel line bleeding and if it took care of the issue.

Inspection

Bill, I?m going to contact you soon for your source for the tubes. Mine?s going to need them next condition inspection!

Hi Bill,

Great annual inspection feedback

I will be in Lyman, SC on business the early part of week of June 10th and would love to swing by and get your .02 on Pmags and your EI Commander.....as well as check out one of the rare 9's out there.

Let me know if you will be around.

Thx,

Hi Bill,

Great annual inspection feedback

I will be in Lyman, SC on business the early part of week of June 10th and would love to swing by and get your .02 on Pmags and your EI Commander.....as well as check out one of the rare 9's out there.

Let me know if you will be around.

Thx,
No problem. Check your PM's

If the weather is good, we will get you some -9 time while you are here.

Fuel Pressure?

Last night, I ran the plane as part of the final Condition Inspection Opps check.

The fuel pressure was spot on, it functioned as expected, with the electric pump on and off.

This evening I had a chance to fly the plane and for the first three quarters of the flight the fuel pressure was exactly what I would expect.

Then it started climing and triggered the high fuel pressure alarm.

I'm carburated and the SkyView went crazy with 27 PSI of fuel pressure. Turning on or off the electric pump didn't seem to make much difference.

I landed, shut the engine down and noticed the fuel pressure was reading 17 PSI with everything turned off.

Hummmm?

Tomorrow I'm going to replace the ground wire for the sensor. I have an older sensor that I can put back on, if a new ground lug doesn't fix the problem.

So, I sent from low fuel pressure to high fuel pressure. Go figure!

320 is the one

Bill is a maverick. Don?t put a 360 on the -9. The 320 does just fine and with a constant speed prop, it?s a sweet combination. Besides the -360 is too much power for that airframe. Also, If you do decide to forge ahead with a 360, then it could cause blindness. Just fair warning.

I guess I would be remis if I didn?t share that my 180+hp with CS prop -9 is a takeoff thrill similar to my old RV-3. Off the ground in several seconds, Pattern altitude halfway down the runway, it?s a rush every time. As far as cruise speed, im a 180mph TAS everywhere kind of guy.

Good luck on your build. It?s the best kept secret of all the Vans designs.

Ok Bill, back to your condition inspection......

Bill is a maverick.
?
Also, If you do decide to forge ahead with a 360, then it could cause blindness. Just fair warning.
?
I thought it was something I did during puberty that caused the blindness Craig!

I just had a conversation with someone else on this board about starting to collect parts for a CS prop for the HurlMaker II.

Bill,

Are you using the standard Vans fuel pressure transducer? Just wondering as I recall that a number of folks (myself included) have had these go to high P, presumably because of a ground issue. I'm now seeing this (high P) very intermittently on my second sender and thinking about replacement options.

Maybe something about the o360 in a 9? ;>)

Greg

Bill,

Are you using the standard Vans fuel pressure transducer? Just wondering as I recall that a number of folks (myself included) have had these go to high P, presumably because of a ground issue. I'm now seeing this (high P) very intermittently on my second sender and thinking about replacement options.

Greg

Greg,

Yes, I have the Van's sensor. I'll play with the ground wire and see if that fixes it.

But, you are correct, it could be the course of the big engine in a -9!

Bill,

Greg

If you are using the VDO sender they fail by the resistance wire wearing out at the usual place the wiper (run by pressure) sits when the engine is running. So your fuel pressure may read normally when the wiper bridges the spot on the wire, and suddenly peg high - or to zero - when the pressure changes a bit.

Just landed after an hour's test flight, fuel pressure issue seems to be resolved.

I ohm'ed out the ground wire and it was faulty. I replaced the connectors on both ends and all is good.

Sometimes it is the simple things!

Bill is a maverick. Don?t put a 360 on the -9. The 320 does just fine and with a constant speed prop, it?s a sweet combination. Besides the -360 is too much power for that airframe. Also, If you do decide to forge ahead with a 360, then it could cause blindness. Just fair warning.

I guess I would be remis if I didn?t share that my 180+hp with CS prop -9 is a takeoff thrill similar to my old RV-3. Off the ground in several seconds, Pattern altitude halfway down the runway, it?s a rush every time. As far as cruise speed, im a 180mph TAS everywhere kind of guy.

Good luck on your build. It?s the best kept secret of all the Vans designs.

Like he said, put the IO360 and CS prop on the plane, and you'll never question it. There's nothing like passing the Bonanza that took off in front of you during the climbout.

Condition inspection completed and logbooks signed.

The only thing that needed to be replaced was the right side neoprene tube that goes from the aluminum inlet to the cooling plenum on my Sam James cowl.

With the two engine runs I performed, the fuel pressure was perfect. So, bleeding the fuel pressure line may have solved that annoying issue. I won't know until I fly it. That may have to wait until next weekend as we are supposed to get three days of rain here in the upstate of South Carolina.

So almost a year later, did bleeding the fuel line definitely eliminate your low pressure readings or did the problem return at any time?

Back