What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X / GTN650 Frequency Source Annunciation

Ezburton

Well Known Member
Patron
I saw something curious on my glass this weekend. I have a dual G3X touch and a GTN650. The GDU may be one rev behind. I had a flight plan loaded in the GTN and while en route, I went to the way point page on the G3X, saw my destination listed (KCJR), selected the AWOS and Unicom frequencies, then loaded them into comm1 (the GTN). The frequencies loaded and displayed on both the G3X and GTN, however the glass had my destination airport Unicom / AWOS id and the GTN was still saying it was my departure airport, KMFV (which are on different frequencies).

So I did the same search on the GTN and the freq stayed the same, but the station identifier changed to the destination

I observed this again on a subsequent flight, but the standby freq was someplace that wasn't in my flight plan (heck I didn't even know where it was). Anyone else seen this?

The location associated with the frequency comes from the local device DB for non-CAN devices, so the G3X and the GTN are deciding that this one nearby airport with that freq is what you mean vs this other airport.

On the GTR200 for example, it gets that data over the CAN bus from the G3X, so I believe it will always say the same on both screens.

IOW, nothing to worry about :)

Note: I have not actually seen the code for this and am just deducing from CAN data, available DBs on fly.garmin.com and experience seeing these things happen to me as well in flight.

The location associated with the frequency comes from the local device DB for non-CAN devices, so the G3X and the GTN are deciding that this one nearby airport with that freq is what you mean vs this other airport.

On the GTR200 for example, it gets that data over the CAN bus from the G3X, so I believe it will always say the same on both screens.

IOW, nothing to worry about :)

Note: I have not actually seen the code for this and am just deducing from CAN data, available DBs on fly.garmin.com and experience seeing these things happen to me as well in flight.

I thought it might be something like that for the second case... but in the first scenario it actually told me it was still the departure airport which has a different frequency altogether. And when I used the find feature on the GTN to load the frequency, it changed the ID to the destination. So something is still wacky to me.

Thanks,

Back