What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X vs 796

burgundyja

Well Known Member
I have a 796 with a G5 and a 507 autopilot. I am trying to see if the g3x is worth the money. If I don't take advantage of the engine monitor stuff what is on it that the 796 dosn't have?

I've been contemplating whether to go 796 for the passenger screen vs. another 10" G3X screen. Other than for the passenger, I'm thinking a second 10" may be overkill....even for IFR. However, while I'm wiring the harness...it might make sense to have the plug wired for later installation of this screen.

I think you are right. Minus the EMS information on the screen...the 796 is essentially a mini G3X. One advantage of the 796 is the 3 hr backup battery power and its $1500 vs $3800. G3X has no redundant power unless you equip/design for it.

Maybe the G3x Garmin Team will chime in.

I'm thinking a G3X on the left with GTN 625, G5, and a 796 or 660 for approach charts would be a great setup (but not the most symmetric). This gives the functionality of the G3x system with two other backups that have external backup battery power redundancy. Then considering a IBBS for the G3X that would give 1 hr + power bachup.

Anybody have the Air Gizmo mounts for the 796 or 660? Do you like them in your panel?

The G3X Touch is a lot more capable

Mike,

The G3X Touch is significantly more capable than an Aera 796. However, the Aera 796 with a G5 is a capable system and maybe perfectly suited to your aircraft. Here are a list of differences that the G3X Touch has and the Aera 796 with a G5 does not:
  • Larger attitude display with Synthetic vision and AOA
  • OAT, TAS, Winds on the PFD
  • Built in autopilot controller (as a back up to a GMC or used without a GMC)
  • Control and display of a remote transponder
  • Control and display of up to 2 coms
  • 4 additional RS-232 ports which can be connected to a stormscope, CO detector, Active Traffic system (GTS 800), Vertical Power systems, etc.
  • Full integration with GTN/GNS navigators
  • EIS with fuel computer
  • CAS alerting system

For as close to an apples to apples comparison as you can get, a dual G5 with a 796 will give you PFD, HSI, and an MFD. The cost for this system would start around $3900.

A 10" GDU 460 with the primary sensor kit would start about $5400. Or a 7" GDU 470, which will still give you all of these same features, but a smaller display would be about $4500.

If you have any specific questions about your installation I would be happy to help.

Thanks,
Levi Self

Team X Project Manager

Ed,

I think if you flew with a second G3X Touch display and then with a 796 as your second display, you would notice just how much more you can do with the G3X Touch display and how it is perfectly integrated into your whole system. In my RV-6a, I have shot many practice approaches with a blanking sheet over my primary display using only the cross side G3X Touch display, it really is quite simple. Yes, the 796 is going to show you charts/map, but if you are looking for backup capabilities for the G3X Touch system, you can't beat a display that is integrated into the system.

Also, in your prices, you were comparing a 10" GDU price to a 7" Aera price. A closer comparison would be the GDU 470 which is also a 7" display at $2995. I understand this is more than an Aera, but you are getting a lot more capabilities!

Thanks,
Levi

Similar situation, I have a 696, AFS 4500 and soon to be GTN 635. I was thinking about a 7? g3x or a 796 in place of the 696; only for moving map and approach plates. Subscribing to watch inputs.

The G3X is on a whole other level compared to a G5/796.
First and foremost I think the ability to have high reliability ADAHRS (up to 3) tied to the PFD with full up HSI tied to an IFR navigator makes it a truly capable 'system', PFD/MFD reversion, charts, plates, winds, TAS, OAT and a host of other features are just the beginning. Full up engine monitoring is available is icing on the cake. I could go on and on but you get the idea.

To say I love this panel is an understatement...and not just how it looks, the seemless operation is something wonderful to watch :D

IMG_7793cropped-XL.jpg

Just curious, why an MVP as well as the CGR?

The MVP has been with me a long time, has been 100% reliable, and I really like the way all the info is layed out in the single display. But sometimes having basic engine info right in front of you is handy (like when doing IFR work). The CGR merely acts as a repeater, also has a great display, and puts all primary engine info right in front of me. I've considered taking out the large MVP display and installing another G3X screen but not sure if that would buy me enough to really justify all the work and $$.

Last edited:
The G3X is on a whole other level compared to a G5/796.
First and foremost I think the ability to have high reliability ADAHRS (up to 3) tied to the PFD with full up HSI tied to an IFR navigator makes it a truly capable 'system', PFD/MFD reversion, charts, plates, winds, TAS, OAT and a host of other features are just the beginning. Full up engine monitoring is available is icing on the cake. I could go on and on but you get the idea.

To say I love this panel is an understatement...and not just how it looks, the seemless operation is something wonderful to watch :D

IMG_7793cropped-XL.jpg

Shut up and take my money! I think I just found the panel I will base my build on, with your permission of course. 👍

Back