What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Edge distance after repair... (R-710 again)

danielhv

Well Known Member
I made the repair recommended here, but now looking at the part after clecoing in place, I am concerned about edge distance for the affected area. The plans are calling for AN426AD3-4's which require a 0.156" edge distance. In the spot I made the repair, the "low point" is .1350"... everything else is in the green, just the one low spot. Suggestions?

img_2204.jpg

edge distance to center of hole

Hi Daniel,
I think that the edge distance is from the edge to the centerline of the hole.
I think standard is 2 times diameter, but there is a minimum of 1.5.
1.5 times .098=.147"
Pretty close to what you have there, but you will know it is there.
Your call,
Jim
7A wings

Again... this is a cheap part. Replace it. You will not be the first. You must need something else from Van's. JMHO

It is very difficult to accurately measure distance without a scale let alone on the basis of a photograph, but from my
perspective, the e.d. doesn't look unacceptable or even much different than the e.d. on the other hole. Although
minimum edge distance of 2 times hole diameter is standard, (and it appears to my untrained eye that the hole meets that
requirement), minimum e.d. as measured from the center of the hole to the edge of the part is 1.5 (.147 for a #40 hole) is
often considered acceptable.

replace it...2d is .187 from the center of the hole. trim to the outside of the hole on the new part then debur accordingly. this part was 11.00 when i mangled mine. of course you gotta wait a few days for it. YMMV good luck

Last edited:
got the word from Vans today... Sent them the story and pictures, here is their email:

I wouldn't worry about it. The material is fairly thick, so ed is less of a
concern. If you wish you could add another rivet close to the one with poor
ed to reinforce it.

Vans

Building on! Thanks everyone!

....the word from Vans today....I wouldn't worry about it......Vans

So there you have it. You quickly found out that like most open forums you can almost always anticipate
diametrically opposed opinions concerning virtually any subject. It is always up to the poster to decide what
course of action is best. In this case, you served yourself well by consulting with Van's to settle the matter
and as a bonus, you saved yourself needless delay and several bucks for a part you really didn't need to replace.

That's why we call it Experimental... This is almost comical! When we do pre-purchase inspections the camera on a stick will show the quality of the build.

Last edited:
Where are these minimum edge distances coming from? Is there an experimental/invisible aircraft maintain manual I'm missing? I look in the Van's manual and in AC 43.13 and in Mil Std documents and I find something different.

Back