What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FWF wire runs - Uniwrap?

00Dan

Well Known Member
I know the whole zip ties vs adel clamps is a sort of never ending debate here. I’m brainstorming a third option: using Uni-wrap silicone tape to bundle and then secure my wiring runs straight to the engine mount.

Anyone done this, or have some input? For some added context, the bundle is mostly engine monitor wiring.

If you wrap the wiring to the mount all the way, one, it is expensive, two, silicone tape is easy to snag & rip in places making a big mess.
My practice is a couple loops of silicone tape around the engine mount tube and a tie wrap to secure the wiring over that. But where the wiring is transitioning between the mount (solid) and engine (shaking), I secure that last point with adel clamp arrangement.
Starter cables and 'B' leads are always secured with adel clamps.

Last edited:
You will make changes...

Plan for easy to service, because you will make changes over time. BR Rick

Roundit 2000 NX is getting a lot of use in the big birds these days.
Self-closing, easy to branch out, etc
Pretty cool stuff, but pricey.

Griplock ties

00Dan, have you seen the ties make and sold by Mike Patley (of Draco fame).
They will not cut into what they are strapped to. griplockties.com
Allen

I have a few sheets of 1/16 rubber laying around. I cut strips to wrap around the engine mount and then zip tie wires around that protective rubber wrap. Avoids all of the issues with the zip tie eating into the mount.

Larry

Plan for easy to service, because you will make changes over time. BR Rick

Yeah, no kidding. I made my FWF harness from Tefzel wiring inside of heatshrink tubing, back in 2003 on my -6. I also added (6) extra (spare) 20ga single-conductor wires plus a 20ga shielded twisted pair and coiled up the excess below the LH upper engine mount for future "growth". In the 18 years since, I've used all but one of those extra wires, for stuff like an active 5V oil pressure sensor, cowl flap and cowl ramp actuators, and A/C compressor.

Back