What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Grab Handle

RedBird

I'm New Here
Any idea where I could buy handles that go on top of the canopy of the RV-10. Especially my wife, she would like it for stability. I'd like to also have handles above the windscreen inside to grab onto. Ideas?

Welcome to VAF!

Lionel, welcome to VAF.

We discussed putting exterior handles on our ten, but now after a couple hundred hours, and 4 years, the notion has gone away-------just not needed in our case.

Also no handles

I don't have any handles also. Was planning on putting some on but never got to it. After 120 hrs don't think I will. All the ones I have seen were from Home Depot cabinet and aviation section.

I thought about doing some, and all the ones I've looked at are from Aviation Depot in the Hardware isle with the cabinet handles. A little flox hardpoint and some hardware and you're all set.

The aft side of the door opening provides a fabulous "handle" to assist in getting up on the wing. I wouldn't dream of putting on an external handle to grab on to.

One more data point to the list - we were planning on installing a handle and didnt and dont think we ever will. Looked at some that were suitable at Home Depot.

If you do end up doing it you might consider a method Pierre described to me once. I believe he put a little drop of [used] oil near the area he wanted to put a handle and go fly it that way he could align the handle with the airflow as best as possible.

Exactly

Right on Brian...and nope, we never did add handles. Vern has them just above the passenger fresh air vent.

Best,

Any idea where I could buy handles that go on top of the canopy of the RV-10. Especially my wife, she would like it for stability. I'd like to also have handles above the windscreen inside to grab onto. Ideas?

I installed a pair of 4 inch cabinet handles just beneath the rear windows, on the outside. They have worked out great. They are real important when you're in your seventies....

John

We installed our nickel drawer pulls during the build and sanded them to fit the contour above the rear windows. Hardpoints unnecessary. We use them often, especially when cleaning the windows or washing the plane when your doors are closed.

Last edited:
We have out handles on quite a few planes. We always align them with the top of the rear window (for aesthetics, not reduced drag) towards the back. They are very helpful, especially for older individuals. Just a little added stability is really nice.

indoor handles

As a front seat passenger in the rv-10 when we fly in turbulence, I scoot my seat all the way to the forward position and hold onto the handles in the dash.

Don't do it, you'll lose 2 knots. We thought about it but Andrew from Super-Amart is next door with his 10, we can't let him be faster than us!

Mount reinforcements ?

Hi Jesse,

I'm planning to install them on my 10. I found them very useful on the Cirrus when I owned it. Could you please give a description of the mounting reinforcement you found necessary and maybe a pic or two. Also, what handles do you fine work well?

Thanks,
Gerry

I just get handles from the aircraft department at Lowes. I like to use handles that have a vertical portion for the screws to allow for enough thread engagement, then I use aircraft screws. I usually use countersunk screws with big dimpled washers, especially with a headliner. I've never had to modify the cabin top fiberglass.

OK, that you Jesse. I was concerned about the small diameter of the handle on the cabin top outside. The dimpled washer is a good idea
Gerry

Any other experiences out there ?

Gerry

Added handles

i mounted a handle under the rear window 4 years ago. These handles get used more each year as we get older. A useful improvement to our RV10.

Temporary handle?

I came across this thread and had an inspiration. If you need a handle to help passengers embark, why not carry one or two of these along?

http://m.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-diameter-suction-cup-40993.html

20160911_094502-1024x576.jpg

Back