What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mil. to Civl.

Robert Anglin

Well Known Member
This is a little over my pay grade, but I enjoy learning. I had a chance to pick up a very nice US-navy helmet at a good price. There are Two way to use it in a civilian aircraft. Change the speakers and mice or use a cable that has a converter in it. I like the idea of a cable with the converter in it, but I have heard that there may be some audio quality loss if you run the signal through a converter. I think the War bird and Team RV guys will be up on this subject as well as a few others. So does it make much difference one way or the other? Can you tell there is audio loss with a converter?
Thanks for your time on this question. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

This is a little over my pay grade, but I enjoy learning. I had a chance to pick up a very nice US-navy helmet at a good price. There are Two way to use it in a civilian aircraft. Change the speakers and mice or use a cable that has a converter in it. I like the idea of a cable with the converter in it, but I have heard that there may be some audio quality loss if you run the signal through a converter. I think the War bird and Team RV guys will be up on this subject as well as a few others. So does it make much difference one way or the other? Can you tell there is audio loss with a converter?

My experience using a convertor to use Military helmets and headsets in civilain aircraft was not very good. There was a big loss of fidelity using the convertor. We had the technicians that supported the USAF Test Pilot School at Edwards AFB try to resolve the issues but they never could. We ended up buying civilian equipment to use in the civilian aircraft.

TJ

Give these folks a call, they should be able to answer your questions.

http://www.gibson-barnes.com

They modified for me a military helmet for civilian use several years ago. They will modify used or sell you new including custom graphics if you want to spend the $$$.

Last edited:
I would strongly recommend that you just buy new speakers and microphone. I have used several different types of converter cables with limited success. I flew the C-23 for the Army for 12 or so years, and we tried various ways to convert helmets for when we needed to mount NVG's or an O2 mask. The converters are expensive and for the most part have a rather high failure rate.

Unless you plan on using the helmet with both civilian and military impedence systems I would convert the helmet and be done with it. If you have never done it before it would will probably take you 15 or 20 minutes to swap the parts out.

Doug

I converted an HGU-55 helmet to civil electronics with an upgrade kit from Headsets, Inc.. The kit surpassed any expectations I had of it -

1. Pretty easy to install,
2. Very comfortable, and
3. Far and away the quietest headset I've ever tried. Bose has nothing on this setup.

Good thred!

Thanks guys. We had checked with Gibson and Barns and Flighthelmets.com. The price to convert was about the same as changing out the speakers and mice. What we have is a less than three year old Gentex HGU-68P that a student had washed out with and had little time on it. So it was too nice to pass up and too nice to want to do any thing too mess it up more than we could. After talking to a couple of electrical wizards in Houston and asking for help from you guys, it sound right to change the speakers and mice out.
We will put the good Gentex 300 ohm speakers and the electret mice for the wire boom in this one. Then just put the old parts in ziplock and into the helmet bag it will all go. Thanks for your help. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

Last edited:
What we have is a less than three year old Gentex HGU-68P that a student had washed out with and had little time on #80888

Wow. So this is a government owned helmet, in working condition no less, that a former student decided to sell? What service allows people to keep helmets? None that I am aware of. I certainly wouldn't post that on a public forum. Hope you can get it to work.

Last edited:
Not Quite

Each aviator is issued (bought) a helmet upon initial training. If you continue with a long career, you keep it, or it is replaced if it becomes unserviceable.

If you atrite anywhere throughout the process, your gear is returned to be "reutilized"...basically thrown in a box and various parts may be replaced if needed.

NEW students always get NEW gear. If you transition, as I did, from one helmet (rotary) to another (fixed wing) you do NOT get a new helmet, you get one of these used & rebuilt helmets.

Additionally, the "spec" for a helmet to be considered good may be different that what our eyes tell us is good. I have seen MANY helmets that "look fine" that are down for improper edge distance for holes (sound familiar), improperly sized holes, improperly filled holes, leather neck roll is peeling back too far, or a BIG one, ANY crack in the styrofoam liner.

In an ongoing effort to save money, the government has for a LONG time been selling used "stuff" to civilians to recapitalize some of that money spent. You used to be able to even get full aircraft (I think there is one civilian F-18 before that loophole was closed). This is called DRMO - Defense Reutilization Marketing Office. In fact, if YOU want to buy some used military junk, check here...it is like eBay for military stuff. It ranged from new and unissued (think size 17 boots that have since been superseded in design, but nobody came in during the time they were issuing them with that size foot) to old and used up (do you own a metal recycling business? Eglin AFB used to have hundreds of thousands of used rocket motors as scrap...but they were INCONEL!!!!!!!)

Bottom line, PLEASE know all the facts before blatantly accusing someone of stealing from the government, even baseless accusations can be harmful to ones career. And I have my helicopter helmet sitting on the shelf...perfectly legal!

Last edited:
Thanks

Lapsguy is correct. I have no fear of our government and will always be willing to help them in anyway I can. Check your P.M.-Laps.. and thanks for your service. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

Suggest ANR Upgrade

Robert if you are going to changeout the earcup speakers why not upgrade to active noise canceling at the same time. I just did this with my old David Clark military headset using HeadsetsInc kit. It was easy to install their kit and it works very well. They have a kit for helmets too. You are correct the mic also needs to be replaced.

Thanks

Robert if you are going to changeout the earcup speakers why not upgrade to active noise canceling at the same time. I just did this with my old David Clark military headset using HeadsetsInc kit. It was easy to install their kit and it works very well. They have a kit for helmets too. You are correct the mic also needs to be replaced.

Yes, I have been looking at that type of change out too. The only one I have found that I like and felt comfortable with was the one that is install in the new David Clark "Pro-X" headset. The guys at David Clark told me at Oshkosh that there was a guy in South Carolina that was putting that system they had in the "Pro-X" in helmets, but that David Clark was not doing it. The mice sure, the Gentex # 5060-4, I will spend the extra money there, I think 25-30 dollars over the standard mice, but well worth it as I have one on a Soft-Comm. in my flight bag.
I may go that way in a few years, if I don't like a standard set of speakers, but I have found that the sound inside a helmet, with its shell is much quieter than a set of head phone that does not have that extra layer for sound deadening. Good idea Thanks. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

Last edited:
Back