What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT EIS 4000 and SUREFLY

BH1166

Well Known Member
I asked GRT a few month’s back if EIS4000 could get rpm input from Surefly, and the answer was no. Had my A&P add a switch to I could check left vs right slick mag during mag check. Seems only one tach lead. Anyone found a way to get tach signal to EIS from Surefly? Do you think this switch for mags would be the answer. I know others have same switch for same reasons using magneto and EIS 4000. I’m not ignition savvy, but do understand the basics.

Thanks

Found this

Found on surefly website, not seen before now, might be my answer.

Tach2 signal converter

Attachments

• B6904836-40AF-4F24-99AF-A63347BC4707.png
    B6904836-40AF-4F24-99AF-A63347BC4707.png
    503.6 KB · Views: 136
I think you found your answer. But I am confused about the need for a left-right switch. I have the EIS-6000, and it accepts inputs from both mags, and displays rpm properly during mag checks (but during routine flight only displays one set of data). Is the -4000 that different? Have to ask GRT.

A Couple of Things

Butch,

Yes, the Tach2 board from Surefly works with the EIS4000. I have it installed to get Tach from the SureFly. I replaced the impulse Slick mag on the left side. GRT instructed me to change the TachSen setting to H (high sensitivity) - the Slick mags use the L (low sensitivity) setting.

Your comment about a switch and only one Tach lead has me thinking that your EIS 4000 is an older unit, as they originally only had one Tach output. I sent my unit back to GRT years ago and they upgraded it to the standard two Tach outputs.

Merrill

I have it on my RV4. Surefly on the left, Slick mag on the right. I have the UMA tach sensor on the Slick mag. It works no matter what ignition system is selected, because the right mag is still spinning and sends the pulse even when selected off. No extra switch required. Works fine and I have an early version EIS 4000.

I think you found your answer. But I am confused about the need for a left-right switch. I have the EIS-6000, and it accepts inputs from both mags, and displays rpm properly during mag checks (but during routine flight only displays one set of data). Is the -4000 that different? Have to ask GRT.

Early EIS4000 units had only 1 tach input. Mine was circa 2000 and I got it upgraded 5+ years ago for this build. It came back with 2 tach inputs. It only displays one RPM but has logic built in to control which/when. They can be configured differently, e.g. I have a mag on left and Lightspeed on right.

Early EIS4000 units had only 1 tach input. Mine was circa 2000 and I got it upgraded 5+ years ago for this build. It came back with 2 tach inputs. It only displays one RPM but has logic built in to control which/when. They can be configured differently, e.g. I have a mag on left and Lightspeed on right.

Today’s SW release for EIS 4000 is 7.5, mine is older ( no log entries found as to install date) the picture shows SW 44561. I had unit out a year ago changing out the button board. When doing a mag check, mine would show only one LEFT, and would show 0/zero when checking RIGHT. My understanding is the switch inserted in line to the input, giving me the option to change what single input the EIS displays.

I’ll reach out to GRT about my needs, might be time to get SW updated, so I can have a true TWO inputs -vs- one that needs a switch to control which rpm (L-R) reading is displayed. Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• 159A5588-66C1-487C-BC76-78D3A9957023.jpeg
    159A5588-66C1-487C-BC76-78D3A9957023.jpeg
    922.5 KB · Views: 155
Back