What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8-A Low Time Pilot Help

parkerliening

I'm New Here
Hello All,

I am a new private pilot with about 80 hours (mix b/w C172 and PA-28). I was recently hanging out around the airport and met someone with an RV8-A. I fell in love with the plane and now have the opportunity to purchase it. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on low time pilots flying the 8A. I know it's much less forgiving and much quicker than what I am used to flying. If I were to spend 25 or so hours doing transition training in it do you feel I would be safe and ready for it or do you feel it is a death wish waiting to happen. There are some very good RV transition trainers around me so I know I won't have trouble finding one but I'd just like to hear everyone's thoughts.

THanks.

Happy first post! Welcome!

I flew my 8a with about 100 hours, 70 or so of that a decade earlier. I got very current before my first flight, then did transition training with Mike Seager. I have well over a 1000 incident free hours in RVs between my RV-8a and RV-10 now. Take your time, get the training. You'll be fine.

Do some research to see what your insurance company will need first. The first few years can be quite expensive for a low time pilot.

Guy

Go for it

Just do it. I applaud all jail breaks.

Remember everything will be happening 50% faster. You don't HAVE to go fast...but you will.

Have fun.

The RV series aircraft are wonderfully docile and with a proper checkout you will do fine and enjoy a wonderful aircraft. Like everything else about aviating, know your and your aircraft’s limitations and abide by them.Enjoy your new 8..

Do it

I have a friend that was only a few hours into his PPL training(C172) and stumbled accross us RV guys at the local airport..one ride in an RV and he was hooked. His non-RV CFI agreed to get an RV check-out, and a 6A on the field happened to be for sale..The rest is history, and he is well through solo and cross countrys, nearing exam time. Even his instructor(now a RV-Grin recipient) is sold on the RV's honest manners as a great training platform.

Depends on how good of a stick you are.. I jumped into a 9A with about 50 hours TT and a fresh certificate and never looked back. If you have good hand/eye coordination, were an athlete, are a good stick, etc... you will have no problems with some good transition training.

When I was in USAF pilot training we soloed in the T37 jet very early in our training program. I’ve always described the RV as similar to a T37 - but with a propeller and a little slower.

If you’re willing to spend the money for a good transition trainer and he/she says you’re ready then I encourage you to go ahead and buy an RV. They’re great flying aircraft and if you respect your limits and the aircraft’s limits then you’ll do just fine.

The Rv's are fast no doubt, but they don't fly as differently as a guy might think. There are certainly differences and a good transition trainer will point them out but I don't find flying an RV to be all that difficult compared to a trainer. Do it! I'm only at about 210 hours and didn't find the transition all that hard.

In short they are different but they are not an F-16! :)

Hello All,

I am a new private pilot with about 80 hours (mix b/w C172 and PA-28). I was recently hanging out around the airport and met someone with an RV8-A. I fell in love with the plane and now have the opportunity to purchase it. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on low time pilots flying the 8A. I know it's much less forgiving and much quicker than what I am used to flying. If I were to spend 25 or so hours doing transition training in it do you feel I would be safe and ready for it or do you feel it is a death wish waiting to happen. There are some very good RV transition trainers around me so I know I won't have trouble finding one but I'd just like to hear everyone's thoughts.

THanks.

Parker,
Go to Hicks.
Talk with Jay Pratt.
Plenty of people to help and will send you the right direction.

Boomer

I was in a very similar situation last June. I am a low time pilot (150 hours SEL mostly 172 and PA28 at the time). After a very pleasantly surprising insurance quote, I found an RV8a and as an opportunity of a lifetime was for sale by a CFI willing to transition train me (and even get me a current flight review!) I was 4 years out of currency.

Never flown high performance - of which this plane was not, but it is more "slippery" than a 172.

We did the flight review and a checkout. Initially I was in the back seat (no rudder pedals, no brakes) and after building both of our confidence we swapped seats and everything got a lot easier. After 7 hours total and more simulated emergencies and patterns than I could keep count of, we were both satisfied and I was signed off.

I flew it home to California from Texas and got to know it better. 100 hours later and I'm still really enjoying this amazing machine.

I thought I was getting ahead of myself at the time, but in hindsight it all worked out really well.

I had just under 100 hours when I started looking for an RV-8 to buy. Did three days of training with Mike Seagar in an RV-7. Bought an RV-8 and flew it home to NorCal from Arizona. My longest cross country flight to date.

RV8 training

With the insurance companies getting real picky on everything you are going to want to get training in the 8A and not the 7A because even though it’s not much different the insurance company will still require a certain number of hrs in the 8A so you might as well get all the training in the 8A. Sure things will happen faster but you’ll get use to it quick. The insurance company will require you to get at least 10-20 hrs of training

I had 200 total hours when I finished my 8A, about 100 in Cessna 152, 172 and 100 in a Starduster Too. Hadn't flown in five years. The insurance company wanted 5 hours of training, and a 7A was acceptable to them. Started off with five hours of training locally in a Comanche (I called it a "Super Biennial), then went up to Idaho for five more hours in a 7A.

After that training flying my 8A was no big deal. RV's just aren't that hard to fly. Faster than a 172, but stable, honest and responsive. It just does exactly what you tell it.

Hello All,

THanks.

FWIW...

Im building an -8 and have helped fly off the hours on a couple 6As. I also have roughly 2000 hrs instructing in C-172, including one of the 6A builders.

Totally aside from the tail wheel aspects, any RV is gonna be a lot lighter on the controls and much less forgiving of hamfistedness. That said, they're basically honest airplanes. If you approach them with respect, like you sound like you're doing, you should have no trouble. Just approach it like you should any new airplane: get as much training as you can, research as much as you can, and stay very humble.

Be patient and careful and it will reward you with the experience of a lifetime.

Bought my 6A with about 70 in my log book from 20 years ago. Got a few hours refresher in some spam can I can’t remember, a fresh BFR, and spent a few hours transition with Jan Bussel in his 6A. Now at about 800 with 300 or so formation.

Be a pilot, not a “driver” and you’ll be fine.

BTW, a local student bought my buddy’s 6 and finished his PP in it.

Back