What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iefis lite - transponder hookup

sblack

Well Known Member
I saw in one of the manuals that the iefis lite can't output encoded altitude for a transponder. Is this correct? Or can it output it in some form, just not the traditional graycodes? I searched around on their knowledge base but I couldn't find anything. Anybody know?

The iEFIS "Lite" versions output serial (RS232) altitude encoder data. They don't output the older style "Gray" (Gillham) code format. The full flavoured version outputs both.

This is only a problem if your transponder doesn't accept serial altitude data, which shouldn't be an issue with any newer/modern style transponder.

They both use the same altitude encoder as far as I know (the Lite's encoder is in the display unit, and the full variant's encoder and its Gillham output socket is located in the "iBox", which you don't get with the Lite). The whole thing about the "Lite" is just that it sacrifices certain input/output connectivity, which includes Gray code format, for a much more compact system. It uses the same software & hardware - connectivity aside.

Just had a "Lite" installed in my Pitts connected to my Trig TT22 transponder. No issues as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:
I haven't flown much with it since the install (which is very recent) due to other unrelated issues, but first impressions are very favourable.

I love the near total flexibility of the screen layouts, which takes some time to learn but once you get the hang of it you can do some pretty cool things via your PC and a micro SD card. Nav and firmware updates are super easy too.

If you need more connectivity you can connect their "extender module" which gives you a bunch of extra serial ports, etc. However for my VFR 2 seater, it has everything I need and the Explorer (8.5") screen just fits perfectly in my panel!

Z1JfZich.jpg

Last edited:
Back