What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad overheating

ksauce

Well Known Member
Patron
I took yesterday off from work and spent 6 hours under the hood. It was hot and sticky and while the flying and learning was good, the weather pushed the limits of bearable. My iPad thought so, too, as it gave me the overheat warning and shutdown on me twice. Given that the iPad (Air 2, specifically) is my sole source of charts, this is a bit disconcerting.

I have it mounted on a kneeboard. I'm doing the instrument in a Grumman Tiger so there is some shade on top; I can imagine this is much more of a problem in an RV. It seemed to happen when the sun was shining directly on the screen and from what I've read on the interwebs, that seems to be the killer. I will try to manage that as best I can from now on, but does anyone else have any tips?

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm better of buying a purpose built EFB like a Garmin 796. It seems so silly to me to buy a single purpose computer but the extended temperature ratings look pretty attractive right now. I also would hate to lose Foreflight.

Last edited:
Just my two cents.....

I think that might be half your problem, I think you also might be getting heat from your leg as well, especially for a 6 hours under the hood. I have also read that if you have the IPad in a case , like an otter box case could cause some heating issues too. I had mine mounted on the yoke on my Comanche (not in a case) during my IFR training and running the hole time and did not have any type of over heating issue. Also if there are vents that can be directed to your knee were they Ipad is would help.

I am getting ready to mount mine in my new RV-6A and it will be mounted next to an air vent so I can direct air to it during my flights to keep from getting it hot.

Hope this helps.

I took yesterday off from work and spent 6 hours under the hood. It was hot and sticky and while the flying and learning was good, the weather pushed the limits of bearable. My iPad thought so, too, as it gave me the overheat warning and shutdown on me twice. Given that the iPad (Air 2, specifically) is my sole source of charts, this is a bit disconcerting.

I have it mounted on a kneeboard. I'm doing the instrument in a Grumman Tiger so there is some shade on top; I can imagine this is much more of a problem in an RV. It seemed to happen when the sun was shining directly on the screen and from what I've read on the interwebs, that seems to be the killer. I will try to manage that as best I can from now on, but does anyone else have any tips?

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm better of buying a purpose built EFB like a Garmin 796. It seems so silly to me to buy a single purpose computer but the extended temperature ratings look pretty attractive right now. I also would hate to lose Foreflight.

Typically a case prevents the device from cooling properly. Have been using an iPad over 5-years and have not had it overheat in flight.

A couple of us in our area have found that fitting a white screen protector on our iPad Air has helped with the overheating problem. In my case, it hasn't overheated since. I used a "moshi iVisor AG for iPad". It is easy to fit, helps with the overheating and takes care of fingerprints.

Jim Butcher

Typically a case prevents the device from cooling properly. Have been using an iPad over 5-years and have not had it overheat in flight.

Good thought. I'm using the Apple leather smart case and putting it in a ram mount that grabs around the case. I will try removing the case next time.

overheating ipad

My ipad air shut down from overheating several times during a recent cx to FL, and it was not in a case but was on an open kneeboard with spacers between the board and the ipad to allow for some air flow. I love foreflight so I use the ipad, but otherwise I can't recommend the product as your single EFB. I only use my ipad for flying and flight planning so it's already a single use item for me. But then, most things in aviation are single use items....

I can't say the display is all the good either, especially in bright light.

Robert
RV7

After reading some on the interwebs this morning, I'm going to give the X-Naut cooling mount a try. There aren't too many reviews on it, so I'll report back what I find.

Link.

I had the same issue in my rv8. Gave up fiddling with a kneeboard iPad holder after about a minute. It got in the way too much. It overheated when mounted (no shade). I ultimately just got it out to look at something, then put it back down. If I needed to look at it frequently going thru class B or something, I kept it on my lap and secured it for landing. I also had a 696 but the database wasn't updated, so I always had to use foreflight for current charts. If I still had my plane, I would forego the iPad and buy a garmin 660 and keep it mounted. Easier to see, easy to update, easy to manipulate.

Given that the iPad (Air 2, specifically) is my sole source of charts, this is a bit disconcerting..

As others have discussed, iPad use in the cockpit is problematic. I find ForeFlight to be an excellent flight planning tool, but limited to backup duty or intermittent use in the cockpit.

I caution against relying on an iPad for any element of IFR flight.

Carl

I drive an RV-6. Even with the Koger shade the iPad overheats on 70% of my flights. It's only in the plane to give my GF something to play with.

I have a Gizmo mounted 696 for charts, weather, and traffic. Well worth the extra cost of subscription. It's easier to read, good button-ology, and has never blipped out in flight.

YMMV

Keeping the Ipad plugged into the aircraft power supply while in use seemed to help in my case. Larry

"Benched" the iPad and bought a second iFly 740

On my last IFR XC, using the iPad for charts/approach plates, it gave out on me twice, both times on instrument approaches.

I came home, ordered a second iFly 740, and now just keep the ipad charged and turned off --- available for backup, if I ever need it. The iFly 740 does everything, aviation-wise, better, and is sunlight readable.

Ron

Also, I have found that having the Ipad powered off of the panel and charging while using it will really contribute to the heat build up.

I have mine yoke mounted with a RAM mount. Very convenient. Always charging from ship power and never shut down on me.

On my last IFR XC, using the iPad for charts/approach plates, it gave out on me twice, both times on instrument approaches.

I came home, ordered a second iFly 740, and now just keep the ipad charged and turned off --- available for backup, if I ever need it. The iFly 740 does everything, aviation-wise, better, and is sunlight readable.

Ron

Ron, This was I guess obviously in clouds--where the sun wasn't shining through your canopy? Was it just super hot outside?

I used mine on the trip home from TX to FL on a two day flight, 2.5 on the first leg and 3.5 on the second and had no issues with over heating. I also have mine in a otter box look a like case and was panel powered the whole flight. I did have the passenger airflow pointed to the rear of the Ipad Mini, not sure if that helped or not but probable did.

Here is a photo of where I had it mounted. I am planning on moving it to the pilot side like I had in my RV-7A.

ckCPo2FY9YDghmVNHwRkTjdyT3w9CKrXILonexQv-SFM8agVUlQAebTGk-DCSvZEn9LYpnuboKGbVz1OOGWBVfzLauPeT1ZFb0e1_6TW5OcftaJAn9kKj3HWU2y32f5wjbX54mclVitSpNVb4v-s-i9dnonOe7sq5qM8zEZNBScn_DbCbojGSG_IGTjFoTrTYyPM-5oUQwCxZ9XvTxrgRo0Dh8I71qE8EYI40-BngCrpPi0fqAQ6eXJbZqis0k-darXMJi9uaLE0R6rVs_Juy5GCXRHWaEVXP54AP84PEcNwhD1KaadnZg_CWMVIwoNd8LDxWXjjOF3rfem_1UEgyGbusKqu66vdtesSXKV3W57PC_YNKSw60uRbixl8IfTj2LesNgNQcIrDEaPrGxQJ66DhY0nsH5O3uD4qVQ2CrQyQk1Qwi7Sp-qpcCvyQSpbzpSTVLnj3FnOX1cGqWxKbiMZneDTXQ4B6pkgll_R73NIRe6DoQ1kUC-kX5xb9jL6SCd7EzmF1OS5bGN17tt7KlOzpWuTRjy5-aGbfO9XwoWdgsHX2TCXeqkgwH3E-KNXW3wO4QhtAEgnwBDFvs5_feSBdzf9ES9-b=w1144-h643-no

In the RV-6A on the way back from TX.

n08o26rgj4-7aGIRGMM8dv0Pzb4t8RRySOMPKd4tZoTgaNv275VSyQEC4zOEFPp1_BB5SdmdRqXyjKeQ6A2tDIV17w89g7l6QXpswhc6zReVgA68axDD9ChDFhwk020MAoy1oDITkimSzR2ESvVpYXjGnT6UsBBMF1Mg83oHOQy9wVLl4dEc43okeCaiJxTJJra-eSUypvAP8KAwgnV1AhKv7DR6gdxguGRbDYc4nDH0Uv_6NvFmwbgnkL0C2gU4N4u8QwEvHFxwVQKCqoTIUzbF0sJd_pPjZ-_TD3uvrqHZFQ5qHZxz3n3x-zvk-LgzaYyqkCvR5oe-9Lx-s0j_NN-UrmBwKPknjFYJ12vm8IgBD8HFGs7s4Hl9fhWjs8MIitPmVqux_kS6Zwgt4yYrkPFE0lbxxxGfAQUxbza-n4moQyKkvrwGJdjROqaImrDzOcxg5flojTt386unS8hEtNgoNDHlZh8tmhvtJfO8tzU8W3NQrPVNfqcjz0FlVR9FjrrXt08BH1y1YNDTR4tdALOPZM8j5aYGUZF9GicNnh1lcMJ7n3unZVqLm8XX2UDHS8SRejPViAg7B67t9Haea9kCQbivnY8=w362-h643-no

Here is the best picture of the mount I had in the RV-7A.

Both spots have air vent pointing on the mount.

I use the Ipad 3 with no issues...

Yoke mounted without a case in a 172... I do make sure the wing root ram air is pointing towards to the ipad. Seems to work without a problem in the hot summer. The case might be the problem. I had my iPhone shut down on me while It was in the case on top of the glare shield...

Also try to kill all apps not needed i flight. No need to run other things in the background.

Mostly "on-top" or between layers

donaziza -- lots of sunlight until descending --- the ipad had been acting up (slow to respond) for some time.

As other posters had said, having on charge and using charts for about 3hrs at a time, the unit was hot, even to touch.

Ron

Keeping it cool

I am running two iPad minis. The panel mount one kept losing it's bluetooth connection, but it never shut down. It didn't come with any cooling ports on the back. I bought a computer fan (90 mm) and mounted it behind with a hole cut in the back. Since then, I have never lost the bluetooth connection or had any other issues. Worked great on my trip to Oshkosh and back (5.2 and 5.4 hours). My second iPad is attached to a Ram mount and has cooling air blasting on it from the vents. Both are naked with no covers. I am running Garmin Pilot with both bluetoothed to the G3X and GDL39 and both are being powered by 2.1A chargers. The chargers can't keep up, but will last for a full day of cross country if they are fully charged to begin with. Neither one gets hot to the touch.

Last edited:
My iPad mini is secured by a Ram mount from just in front of the canopy slide on my -8.

The only time it has told me it was too hot was one evening while attending a meeting and the temperature dropped below 0c. I had to clean the frost off my wings to go home. Obviously it was a bit confused.

In summer I normally have an outside air vent open on the panel, but it is not pointed specifically at the iPad...

In winter if it's below freezing, I take it in with me if I want to use it later.

My new mini iPad 4 just over heated

This morning I flew into PSM (Portsmouth, NH) and left my plane on the ramp until about 1:00PM. (It was in the high 80's) My iPad was in a case in my flight bag on the back seat.

I fired it up to go thru the start-up checklist and it shut down within the first few seconds after showing me a message indicating it was too hot to operate.

I delayed my departure about 10 minutes to let in cool in the air conditioned FBO. After that, it worked fine for the 30 minute flight home, but I was a bit discouraged that it shut down from ambient heat alone.

I never had the problem with my Samsung Galaxy. On the upside, the unit appears to be as bright as my Galaxy and runs Garmin Pilot way better.

Dean

As others have discussed, iPad use in the cockpit is problematic. I find ForeFlight to be an excellent flight planning tool, but limited to backup duty or intermittent use in the cockpit.

I caution against relying on an iPad for any element of IFR flight.

Carl
+1

I love ForeFlight also. But the Ipad and ForeFlight get relegated to a backup navigation source when flying in the cockpit. The Ipad is not reliable enough for that role.

Flying up to Oshkosh in the Cardinal, the Ipad shut down. Decided that the Ipad was just not reliable enough, once is enough. Purchased the Garmin Aera 660 at Oskosh for the return trip and found it be be worth the money.

iPad in cockpit

We flew Seattle to Oshkosh with 2 iPads and felt totally dependent on them. And our dependency was met, even exceeded, with the reliability of the iPad. My panel has a Garmin 430 so for navigation I don't feel at risk using the iPad. I used Garmin Pilot and co-pilot used Fly-Q. Both had ADS-B in antennas. Going to Oshkosh we ended up flying behind and around thunder storms and clouds. We weren't close to convective activity, but we couldn't have made as much progress without knowing what the weather was doing, while flying. Garmin pilot has a great way of showing metars and TAFs along route.

For some reason my iPad was able to get cell service at 3,000 feet (and above) so we received Garmin weather updates every 10 minutes. We also had ADS-B in antenna (GDL-39) and could get weather that way also, but mobile data weather seemed better. PS, Verizon.

My iPad did stop working a few times and I noticed this happened when direct sun light was hitting it. But it fired backup pretty quickly, in less than a minute. When I used sun shades to prevent sun from hitting it, there were no issues. Also opening the air inlet vent and letting air hit the iPad helped keep it cool.

So, I think the iPad is reliable enough for use in cockpit at least for charts and maps, and for traffic & weather. But you gotta manage the sun shine. And it would NOT be my only GPS on board.

Oh, did I mention ADS-B traffic. When we arrived KOSH and entered the hold around Green Lake my iPad screen was saturated with traffic bogies. Holy cow there were too many airplanes going around green lake to count.

No problems in 5,000 mile cross country

I used my iPad/Foreflight/Stratus 2 as my primary means of navigation on a 5,000 mile cross country last year with zero problems. I have it mounted in free air above the center console, with cabin air blowing on the back surface and a Kogan sun shade above to keep the direct sun off. I kept it charging the entire time.

It is very common for the iPad line of products to overheat. That is why Guardian Avionics put cooling ports in their new line of mounts.
They advertise here. If not using a mount... find a way to get air flow to the pad.

I used to use a a mini ipad. It always overheated and went blank. I now use a Nexus 9. RV 8 bubble canopy and a Ram Mount for as much air circulation as possible. Took it up to Oshkosh last year in the heat of the summer. No problems. Plus I live in Atlanta. The summers are beastly here. No problems.

Tried X-Naut -

After reading some on the interwebs this morning, I'm going to give the X-Naut cooling mount a try. There aren't too many reviews on it, so I'll report back what I find.

Link.

My first attempt at using the X-Naut was less than stellar - a self-inflicted but avoidable mistake. So BE AWARE and learn from my experience. To say I have 'high expectations' of a favorable end result is adequate, after the rocky start.

Jumping to the bottom line first - It's now mounted on the RAM ball on the instrument panel, and the fans give me hope of a good long-term solution (this is Arizona, and Halloween was the end of summer). Cooling seems to be a near mandatory prerequisite for an essential flight computer, ie, IPad Mini.

1) Design seems to be good and ultimately meet needs (still testing).
2) :mad:Instructions are VERY marginal and can lead to damage to iPad IF MISREAD. (RTFM, but don't act hastily) Needs a WARNING!!
3) Support - Website could use improvement but got a responsive email.
4) USB plug is almost falling off, due to thickness of plastic and interference (still working on that one).
5) :confused:Some very SMALL and IMPORTANT spacers/bumpers shipping in the 'battery compartment' and not found before it was too late.
6) Weight is excellent - very nice.
7) Does NOT include the USB CABLE, Batteries, or spare "very small parts", nor the RAM mount ball.
8) Along with the 'not included' items this is a little pricey IMHO.

I did not fully grasp the instructions on positioning the Bumpers/Spacers for the specific model (Mini2) and inserted it into the X-Naut and moved it to latch it in. SNAP = shattered the glass on the Mini2 ... no warranty, no coverage, not new. The design and "default" configuration is NOT for Mini 1,2, or 3 ... and the lack of clarity or warning resulted in damage. NOTE: there previously was a 'dent' in the corner of the frame but no broken glass. The pressure from the X-Naut resulted in too much pressure before I realized the interference. GOOD NEWS - My NEW Mini4 fits perfectly, and my wallet is thinner, too.

I've not seen any other product in this market that does the same function, so I'm going to tough it out, fix the USB port, and put a Placard Warning in the case to avoid someone else in the future repeating this mistake.

good luck - let us know how your experience goes.

Back