What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint cracks in elevator trim

danielabernath

Well Known Member
RV 12
90cacaf4-5d16-42bf-a96e-9155c9c99f86_zpswj0d1bxw.jpg
I was hand washing it and noticed this for the first time this morning. (Get real good inspection as don't use a rag. Get her wet. Put a few drops of dish soap in my hand and then rub each portion with my soft hand. See all flaws that way. Then rinse off not using jet so not penetrate past the rivets).

I put my finger nail into the crack to see if I could pull up paint. I could not.
Is this normal stress that caused the paint to crack when operating the trim on the elevator?:confused:

RV 12
90cacaf4-5d16-42bf-a96e-9155c9c99f86_zpswj0d1bxw.jpg
I was hand washing it and noticed this for the first time this morning. (Get real good inspection as don't use a rag. Get her wet. Put a few drops of dish soap in my hand and then rub each portion with my soft hand. See all flaws that way. Then rinse off not using jet so not penetrate past the rivets).

I put my finger nail into the crack to see if I could pull up paint. I could not.
Is this normal stress that caused the paint to crack when operating the trim on the elevator?:confused:

I have not seen that on any other RV-12 that I work on...some of them quite high in flight time.

Two questions come to mind for me (and I'm not an expert by any means):

1. Could this reflect an underlying crack in the metal?
2. If so, does this mean it was possibly overstressed at some point?

I would pop some of the paint off around the crack and take a look at the underlying surface for cracking

from the way that one rivet head looks, it almost appears that there is filler in that area. if so it could be a stress crack in the filler.

bob burns
N82RB RV-4

from the way that one rivet head looks, it almost appears that there is filler in that area. if so it could be a stress crack in the filler.

bob burns
N82RB RV-4
I had just washed that area. Are you looking at a water drop near the rivet?

As others have said, this really does warrant some careful investigation.

Were it mine, I'd strip off the paint and use some dye penetrant to be sure there was no crack in the metal. If I found a crack (I think you will), then I'd be wondering why - especially in light of the earlier post suggesting this is not something common.

Something may indeed be pulling on this metal way beyond the design specifications.

Dan

Sent to support@vans

"Hello
I was washing RV 12 and noticed this. (picture attached here)

The boys at Van's Air Force say I should be concerned about excessive stress. Do you have a suggestion?"

The crack (if it is more than just a paint crack) could have been caused by a one time event (likely), if for example, someone pushed the airplane by pushing on the anti servo tab.

BTW, the placard kit for the RV-12 comes with some "No Push" decals for installation on the anti servo tab.

The crack (if it is more than just a paint crack) could have been caused by a one time event (likely), if for example, someone pushed the airplane by pushing on the anti servo tab.

BTW, the placard kit for the RV-12 comes with some "No Push" decals for installation on the anti servo tab.
The builder put them on. They are there quite prominently.

The builder put them on. They are there quite prominently.

Good, but that still doesn't guarantee someone didn't push on it or it didn't get hit by something....

If I remember correctly, you have had other damage (propeller) that no one else with an RV-12 has had, and that was not likely caused by normal operation (most likely something/someone pushed on it or bumped into it)

says Vans in Oregon:

"Today at 1:10 est PM

To

Daniel Bernath

I'm afraid we can't see or say much from this distance..."

(So my analysis, Van's hasn't seen this before and have not had stress in the trim on RV 12 before. As I couldn't lift up the paint with my fingernail it may just be that a push by someone bent the medal but the paint was broken as it is brittle. I would not push there but a mechanic who wanted to run up the engine outside of the shade hangar, without knowledge of this verboten touching, might have done that.)

Last edited:
but a mechanic who wanted to run up the engine outside of the shade hangar, without knowledge of this verboten touching, might have done that.)

Same mechanics who messed up your oil change and consequently the wheel pant?

ETA: And the ones who "wiggled" your composite prop which suddenly and mysteriously broke afterwards?

2 A&P men inspected the plane and including the prop as part of an annual condition inspection.
The two mechanics gave it special attention as they wanted to check out the (natural) play of the prop as you [w]iggle it fore and aft.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd let those two guys near my aircraft in the future :)

Last edited:
Here is my Lt. Columbo conclusion. The plane was pushed at the elevator trim. Also, there the oil that was overflowing hit the bottom of elevator as you can also see the oil drops in these pictures. I got under the elevator and got these pictures (I used to be a pro photog. This obsolete Blackberry and other 'telephones' put all photogrs out of business!)
n262wsunderelevatorclose_zpsz1euqxbc.jpg

under elevator. Look to the left in picture and you can see a big loogee of oil. (this picture also shows the roof of the hanger on the right and the Blackberry focused on the roof)
n262wsunderelevator_zpsp65hn4fu.jpg

Here is the No Pushee sign on elevator (from top).
n262wsNoPush_zpsjhfqogpc.jpg

I've never flown a -12, but I'm very impressed that they need standard equipment warning decals to remind people (including professionals) who are regularly around GA aircraft that they shouldn't push on the trailing edge of a control surface to move an a/c.

What alternate universe do RV-12's fly in?

I've never flown a -12, but I'm very impressed that they need standard equipment warning decals to remind people (including professionals) who are regularly around GA aircraft that they shouldn't push on the trailing edge of a control surface to move an a/c.

Fear of litigation will do that.

These types of warning labels are important for passengers that are not airplane folks... "I just wanted to help" they say. If you do young eagle flights it is also a good learning tool. I've seen line personnel also do some crazy things. Can't hurt. :)

These types of warning labels are important for passengers that are not airplane folks... "I just wanted to help" they say. If you do young eagle flights it is also a good learning tool. I've seen line personnel also do some crazy things. Can't hurt. :)

One of many reasons *nobody touches my plane but me*, if I can help it. No, I don't need help pushing it into the hangar, or pulling it out, or turning it around, or whatever.

Is there any indication, in this case, that somebody pushed the plane *backwards* into something which contacted the elevator and bent the forward portion?

And...when was the last time you know it *wasn't* that way?

One of many reasons *nobody touches my plane but me*, if I can help it. No, I don't need help pushing it into the hangar, or pulling it out, or turning it around, or whatever.

Is there any indication, in this case, that somebody pushed the plane *backwards* into something which contacted the elevator and bent the forward portion?

And...when was the last time you know it *wasn't* that way?

Plane resides in a shade hanger. There is no obstruction behind it; not even a wall as it is open.

I washed the airplane with my hands only this week and noticed it. I washed it a few weeks ago using a rag. I may not have looked as closely at it with a rag. I noticed that there was black grease on the trim tab and had to go back for a second and third soap on my fingertips to get it off and then I noticed the crack. Could that be an indication that a grease monkey pushed it there? We'll never know and yes, I shall steer clear of such mechanics. I am signed up for the Sebring first course in January. I want to do more and more myself as it is my azz in the air.

http://www.flylcpa.com/AviationDay/I read an interesting post somewhere about putting your baby on display at 'Aviation Day' or some other event. The poster said 'how do I get people to not sit on my wing for a picture?"

I guess they just don't know how thin the wing surface is...just need air to pass over it...and not meant for photographs of even pretty girls at 'Aviation Day'. Best thing to do is keep it away from people altogether!

Last edited:
6a01156faa621f970c01347feb77f4970c-pi

"I'm enrolled in the Rotex course at Lockwood! As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be helpless against bumbling mechanics again!"

Back