What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick Build RV-3?

Tony Spicer

Well Known Member
Wasn't all that long ago that many VAF RV-3 fans were saying that if Van would only do a QB -3 they would build one in a heartbeat. Had the S&F tornado in 2011 not totaled my -3, I would most likely still be flying it. Apparently I lacked what it would take to build a second one, so I eventually chose to build a Panther instead. It's currently at the 90/90 stage. The most RV-3 like version of the Panther started flying a couple weeks ago and now has about 10 hours. Short wings and a O-320. If you would like to see how it stacks up against the RV-4, have a look here. You'll find a total of three flight reports in the link.

Tony

I have followed the Panther with interest.
Good to see some others getting completed and flown.

The comparison to an RV-4 isn't all that surprising.... I think an RV-3 of similar power would compare to the RV-4 pretty much the same way.

Why the Panther rather than an RV-3? I looked on their web site and couldn't find any size on the Panther cockpit width.

I'm building a Patrol/Cubbish LSA now but was focused on the RV-3 when I get done. Panther is really another option but if we can get thru this silly 3rd class medical thing an RV-4 would be another option. I started a dash 4 in 1992 and had it done ready for the finish kit when I ran into a very mild heart attack 3 months after a 2nd class medical so I sold the 4 and had to give up my CFI.

Anyway the Panther has some appeal.

Why the Panther rather than an RV-3? I looked on their web site and couldn't find any size on the Panther cockpit width.

Now that the complete kit is available, I could build three Panther airframes in the time it took me to build one RV-3. Cockpit width is 28", comparable to an RV-8.

This isn't the place to try and sell the Panther. All I'm saying is that if you're an RV-3 fan, then give the Panther a look.

Tony

As I rebuild Tony's RV3B, my husband is building a Panther. He started his fuselage a couple weeks ago. Tomorrow it will be on the gear. He is catching up to me and I've got 5 years into this RV-3B build/rebuild! Anyone who has wanted a quick-build or pre-punched RV-3 should seriously consider a Panther.

Thanks Tony!

The one I'm building is 30" inside so the Panther is pretty good size. I'm intrigued by the difference in build time and that certainly makes a good argument to me. Time gets more important the older one gets so maybe the Cougar will be available to compete with the RV-4 next year when I hope to get this project in the air. I did notice the Panther kit has a lot more extra cost options than the RV-3 so that may be factor too.

I've been somewhat interested in the Panther as a project, especially the "sport" flavor, but I'm not sure I understand the anecdotal reports especially when compared to an RV-4.

For example, a specific RV-4 (160hp, fixed pitch Catto) I am acquainted with has a 10% lower wing loading, a slightly lower span loading, a slightly better power loading, and slightly higher top speed. The math would suggest that not only does the RV-4 have a better instantaneous turn rate (~64º/sec vs ~54º/sec for the Panther Sport) but also a significantly smaller instantaneous turn radius (~162ft vs. ~215ft for the Panther Sport).

It's much more difficult to obtain sustained numbers mathematically, but the lower wing loading, lower span loading, and better power loading of the RV-4 would imply better sustained turn rate/radius performance as well. I would be curious as to the roll, pitch, and G onset rates of the Panther.

I'm still very much interested in an RV-3 as a follow-on project to my -6A, but the Panther Sport is interesting...

Last edited:
+1 for RV-3

I looked at the Panther at Osh and reviewed it's specs. Being a bigger guy (in girth), I liked the slightly larger cockpit width of the Panther, but, for me, it's still the 3 that I long for. While the build time required is one aspect of a 3 project, you just can't beat the nimble feel and crazy wide operating envelope of Van's "best bird." Plus, it looks as great as it flies.

Thanks Mike!! I've been around VAF since the early 90's...almost before there were computers. Bought a dash 4 kit in 92 and never got it built due to medical issues and sold it. If we can get this 3rd class medical mess favorably resolved I'm ready for another try at the RV smile!!

Back