What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto tank sealant

dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
Pg22-03 Step 4 requries a thin layer of tank sealant before joining the bottom firewall flange F-1201C and F1201-B. I am consdeiring using auto tank sealant as I do not have the stuff Vans sells. I figure since it is just to get a tighter seal before riveting is would be acceptable, but let me know your thoughts.

Don
Dues Paid until 12/14

taA

Go ahead and order some as you will need to use it in later steps as well.It's not that bad to work with.

If the right stuff is on order, wait for it. Look ahead for prep work you can do to fill the time. There's always lots of deburring to get done!

I usually take heat for advocating alternative parts, but this is one item I would not recommend experimenting on. The current configuration in the assembly manual has a lot of owner hours on it, and leaks seem to be in the minority.

Automotive gas tanks are welded tanks, so the sealant was intended for small leaks. In our tanks it forms the seals at all the seams and plugs those large gaps at the corner, so it is the primary barrier to leakage. Automotive stuff might work just as well, but the mess a leak causes (and fire hazard) just seems to be a risk that I wouldn't want to take.

If my tank developed a leak I would certainly try to fix it with automotive sealant before doing something more labor intensive. I have used stuff from Autozone to seal firewall seams and fill the access step strut.

Oops! Just realized I misread your original post and thought you were thinking of using it on the tank.

Like I said, it worked on the firewall and step.

Pg22-03 Step 4 requries a thin layer of tank sealant before joining the bottom firewall flange F-1201C and F1201-B. I am consdeiring using auto tank sealant as I do not have the stuff Vans sells. I figure since it is just to get a tighter seal before riveting is would be acceptable, but let me know your thoughts.

Don
Dues Paid until 12/14

Don... I believe the original plans called for firewall sealant for its resistance to heat. Shipping firewall sealant became difficult as it now requires shipping as hazardous material. Vans came up with fuel tank sealant as meeting the firewall requirements and fuel tank sealant does not require shipping as hazardous material. The plans still call for firewall sealant when sealing the periphery of the firewall. The firewall sealant does a better job of plugging gaps. Vans does not actually ship the firewall sealant. A third party will package and ship the firewall sealant.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

Back