What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fueselage skin

dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
Section 21-02 of the manual states I need to dimple the #19 holes of the skin. I have looked for a #19 dimple die and cannot seem to locate one with the usual suppliers.

1. Can I use a different size and if so which one do you reccommend, I think the closest I have is a 30.

2. Does any one know where on could acqurie a #19 dimple die

Thanks

Donnie Mac

Tail cone 95% done, awaiting a few parts from Vans that I lost
Just started on fuselage

The #19 hole should be for a #8 screw. You can buy #8 screw dimple dies from the usual sources, I believe I ended up using both #8 and #6 screw dimple dies.

It definitely gets complicated with all the different measuring systems used for screws, rivets, drills, etc, but you get used to it eventually...

Chris

Like Chris said, it can get a little confusing. If you bought an RV-12 tool kit from one of the A-list suppliers, you should already have that #8 dimple die set.

This might be a good place to note that even though Van's instruction manual for the -12 is wonderful and glorious and all that (and it is), it isn't perfect. There are a few places that could be fixed. I have learned to double check just about everything before laying tool to aluminum. It isn't hard and it's good shop discipline.

Just often enough you may find a mis-called rivet length, usually for AN rivets attaching nutplates, but also a couple places where an LP4-4 should be indicated instead of the usual LP4-3. It's worthwhile to look up the specs on those blind rivets to learn the published grip length ranges for each size. Double checking saves bad words.

It's also good to prevent you from making errors of assumption...like I did on the very parts you're working on. You mentioned needing to dimple for the #8 screws which are used on the right baggage floor only. I failed that test, got a little too happy with the squeezer and did both left and right floors the same...all nice and symmetrical-like. (insert "Duh"). That was a cheap lesson, since the result is harmless. I'll just end up having flat head screws where they aren't needed. Read the full instruction, double check everything.

There, I said it three times. Happy building.

Fusealge thread

Thanks for the advice. I have a a #8 screw dimple die. It does get confusing and trying to figure out what screw or bolt will eventually go where before you commit to anything can be a little overwhelming. Despite that I can't think of anything I would rather be doing.

Back