What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Turbulence in the -8

tentoes

I know that this is a subjective and vague question maybe, but what would you pilots who fly the -8 think of its ability to handle turbulence?

I want an RV-8 so bad and I would outfit one with full IFR gear even if that capability wasn't used all that often, but getting stuck "on-top" with no VFR path to the ground is what I would primarily be concerned with. I don't envision taking off in conditions that heavier, IFR-equipped aircraft would routinely fly in.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t restrict feedback to only the RV8 as all of the faster models of similar weight 4,6,7,8 are going to be very much alike in how they ride in turbulence.

Your guess is a good one however while wing loading plays a role in my mind speed is also a culprit. Get the speed down to maneuvering speed and the ride is quite tolerable in most cases. Your happy with lighter wing loading when your taking off and landing and maybe not so much when it’s rough.
You will have excellent climb performance so in a few minutes you can often climb above the turbulence. Can’t win them all, get off quick, climb like crazy, go like **** and land short…..only downside is turbulence…..slow down! :D

Back