What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

It's what I get for waiting until last minute..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrock836

Well Known Member
Got to Oshkosh this morning in the RV12.

Unfortunately my new Dynon ADSB-IN 472 isn't showing up on the network, thus non-functional.

My newly refurbed Dynon Skyview Classic left knob is skitzing out. Impossible to enter airport codes. It will allow one letter, then when I move the cursor for the next letter, it will jump back to the first position and the cause me to re-enter the first letter. Sometimes I'll manage to get to the 3rd letter only to have it wipe out everything previously entered.. Never managed to get KOSH entered.. At least Foreflight works, except it won't connect via WiFi to the Skyview either..

I guess I'll visit the Dynon tent here at Osh while I'm here.. :(

Last edited:
Quick question, if anyone knows.. Is it possible to swap funtions to the right knob? I don't see anything in the Dynon manuals, but thought I would ask the masses..

Unfortunately my new Dynon ADSB-IN 472 isn't showing up on the network, thus non-functional.
It will never show up on the network as it connects to a serial port. (Mine is connected to Port 3.)

Assuming you have it wired correctly to a serial port, it will start displaying traffic and weather after you configure that port appropriately in the Setup screens.

It will never show up on the network as it connects to a serial port. (Mine is connected to Port 3.)

Assuming you have it wired correctly to a serial port, it will start displaying traffic and weather after you configure that port appropriately in the Setup screens.

Thanks,. guys at the Dynon booth said the same thing. Unfortunately there was NOTHING in the Van's ADSB-472 KAIs about assigning it to a specific serial port.. I looked at a yellow flashing WARNING (No ADSB-IN)on my Skyview screen for 6 hrs yesterday while dodging airplanes and thunderstorms. I'm using the supplied harness from Van's.. I hope it's correctly wired. Hopefully I can get it working for the flight back to Texas.

Last edited:
Seriously sorry you are having gremlins. I am sure that is annoying, but you made it to the show. Would you suggest having a handheld GPS back up and handheld transceiver on a trip? Sectional loaded on Pad/Tab?

My feeling is all eggs in one glass panel basket can leave you stranded on a XC trip. Day VFR you only need the following:
Airspeed indicator. Altimeter. Magnetic compass, Tach, oil pressure, Oil temp, Manifold (C/S prop), Fuel. Of course radio, transponder and ADSB in airspace as required.

I worry about losing Engine indicating display info on a cross country. That is a no go. Scary to think people flow with just that looking out the windscreen. :eek: :D

My feeling is all eggs in one glass panel basket can leave you stranded on a XC trip. Day VFR you only need the following:
Airspeed indicator. Altimeter. Magnetic compass, Tach, oil pressure, Oil temp, Manifold (C/S prop), Fuel. Of course radio, transponder and ADSB in airspace as required.
I worry about losing Engine indicating display info on a cross country. That is a no go. Scary to think people flow with just that looking out the windscreen. :eek: :D

Technically for E-AB, NO INSTRUMENTS are required for daytime VFR. Part 91.205 only applies, per operating limitations, to Night and/or IFR operations.

Now, What is prudent is totally a different matter.

Last edited:
Turns out the ADSB-472 is assigned to Serial Port 2.. Both Dynon and Van's agree the provided wiring harness is the probable culprit.. I'll have to wait until I get back home to open up the avionics bay and look at the wiring / pin outs..

I've flown off and on since 1978 without ADSB-IN. I can fly another 6-7 hours back home without it. :)

Thanks,. guys at the Dynon booth said the same thing. Unfortunately there was NOTHING in the Van's ADSB-472 KAIs about assigning it to a specific serial port.. I looked at a yellow flashing WARNING (No ADSB-IN)on my Skyview screen for 6 hrs yesterday while dodging airplanes and thunderstorms. I'm using the supplied harness from Van's.. I hope it's correctly wired. Hopefully I can get it working for the flight back to Texas.

That may be partly Van's fault, but the information is readily available in the *Dynon* manuals.

Seriously sorry you are having gremlins. I am sure that is annoying, but you made it to the show. Would you suggest having a handheld GPS back up and handheld transceiver on a trip? Sectional loaded on Pad/Tab?

I have an ipad running Foreflight. Also have a cell phone with map.

Turns out the ADSB-472 is assigned to Serial Port 2.. Both Dynon and Van's agree the provided wiring harness is the probable culprit.. I'll have to wait until I get back home to open up the avionics bay and look at the wiring / pin outs..

Serial is point-to-point, so there shouldn't be anything *else* assigned to port 2. Why not just configure it per the manual for port 2 and try it?

Once mounted and wired, be sure to update the serial settings: SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > SERIAL PORT SETUP > SERIAL PORT x SETUP (the serial port you wired the SV-ADSB472 to) > SERIAL IN DEVICE > SV-ADSB-472 > ACCEPT (button)

That may be partly Van's fault, but the information is readily available in the *Dynon* manuals.

Serial is point-to-point, so there shouldn't be anything *else* assigned to port 2. Why not just configure it per the manual for port 2 and try it?

Maybe you missed post #8.. It is set to port #2.

I got it.. There's info in the Dynon manuals about setting the serial ports. I bought a Van's kit which included a custom built wiring harness, mounting hardware, Dynon ADSB-472 receiver and instructions. As it turns out the Van's config file may have set the serial port, since it's configured to #2 and I didn't do it. Maybe that's why Van's instructions don't mention setting the serial port, and didn't direct me to Dynon for any additional info to get this working. Dynon and Van's both recommend pulling the harness and verify the pin outs.. Someone may have made a mistake when they built the harness.. Only 4 wires so it should be pretty simple once I get back home.

Last edited:
I got it.. There's info in the Dynon manuals about setting the serial ports. I bought a Van's kit which included a custom built wiring harness, mounting hardware, Dynon ADSB-472 receiver and instructions. As it turns out the Van's config file may have set the serial port, since it's configured to #2 and I didn't do it. Maybe that's why Van's instructions don't mention setting the serial port, and didn't direct me to Dynon for any additional info to get this working. Dynon and Van's both recommend pulling the harness and verify the pin outs.. Someone may have made a mistake when they built the harness.. Only 4 wires so it should be pretty simple once I get back home.

There's a lot of good info in the Dynon installation manual, not to mention the user's manual. Worth downloading and reading. YMMV.

For the knob acting up, try moving the map displayed to the opposite side of the screen under the “screen” menu, “layout”. The knob function corresponds to the side the map is displayed on. Not sure if it stays that way for entering flight plans.

For the knob acting up, try moving the map displayed to the opposite side of the screen under the “screen” menu, “layout”. The knob function corresponds to the side the map is displayed on. Not sure if it stays that way for entering flight plans.

Thanks.. I’ll give it a try..

Simple fix now that I'm back home. It was a simple wiring harness issue that I was able to easily identify and correct..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back