What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall warning vane

dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
Pg 16-03
Stall warnig vane and switch installed but every time I cleco the skin in temporarily it does not travel up far enough to hear click of switch activation, or swirtch may be activated and it does not drop enough to deactivate. Has any one had to increase the size of the hole on the mid skin to get better movement of vane. I have tried to adjust the vane and the switch arm without much luck due to lack of access.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Pg 16-03
Stall warnig vane and switch installed but every time I cleco the skin in temporarily it does not travel up far enough to hear click of switch activation, or swirtch may be activated and it does not drop enough to deactivate. Has any one had to increase the size of the hole on the mid skin to get better movement of vane. I have tried to adjust the vane and the switch arm without much luck due to lack of access.

Any ideas would be appreciated

There should be enough adjustment of the switch housing. Failing that, you can bend the tab. I don't think you need to enlarge the hole.

Jerre

I remember, that I needed quite a few times to adjust the switch, until it worked fine with the skin in place. I also had to bend the vane a tiny bit.
Make sure that you cleco all holes of the skin above and below the switch to firmly attach the skin to the rib. Take your time. You should be fine without enlarging the vane hole.
Once the switch is in place, protect the vane, that you don't get hurt or screwing up the vane when passing by.

I was lucky. Mine was perfect first time. I helped my buddy building his and it was a bit of a chore adjusting it, but it did come into adjustment.

I filed my RV7 wing skin opening just a smidge larger to make allow enough room for the switch to activate.

I suggest that you do not enlarge the slot. While my initial install came out right on the money, my painter subsequently bent it out of tolerance. It was an easy task to rebend the tab in place and verify its position via a test stall or two. Also, I suggest that you put a slight radius on the pointy edges of the tab that hang out front. Those suckers are sharp and seem to poke wandering admirers. :eek: Whenever I park my RV-12, I install warning flags on both the pitot tube and the stall warning vane to lessen the carnage.

Stall warning Vane

Thank you everyne for their input. After hooking up a multimeter to the switch it was easier to tell if the switch was closed or open. Once that was done it was easier to adjust. My advice to anyone having the same problem is make sure you cleco as many of the rivet holes around the switch to make sure the slot is in the proper position. Listening for the click was not as acccurate as the swirtch was closed

Thanks for all the help on this problem as well as the other ones I have received in the past

Back