What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting the bottom cowl with hinges

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Getting the lower cowl attached to the fuse before the piano hinges are attached is not a problem when the top cowl is in position if some sort of support is placed under the cowl at the rear. Then, by lifting the front of the bottom up to meet the top and connecting them together with a cleko or screw at the spinner the rear can be lifted up to meet the fuse and connected.

This will not be possible once all the hinges are riveted in place. The bottom has to be mounted first (unless I am missing something....always a possibility, if not probability). If the bottom goes on first, does this become a two, or three person activity? Someone holding the front up in it's final position while someone on the port and someone else on starboard lines up the hinges at the rear? Or, is there a trick apparatus for holding the front up or the entire lower cowl up while the rear hinges are mated? Levitation? Fork lift?

Last edited:
My experience..different RV's

I haven't worked with a -14 yet, however I built/fly a -4 and have worked with -6,-9,-7 and -8 which are all similarly designed. You are correct that the bottom cowl goes on first, comes off last. My preference is removing/installing alone because I'm not fighting someone else, however the side by side airframes have a wider cowling and 2 people can be better than one. Installing the lower cowling is a "hold your mouth just right" process that is best learned before final finish and paint. I usually lift the cowl up into place and push the AFT piano hinge eyes into place and the forward end up until the inlet ramp seals overlap then carefully stand up and engage the rear pins at least partially. I have also used an old office chair with the backrest off and some cushions on it to roll under the cowl as a support. After you do it a few times, it becomes uneventful. I always apply some 2" tape around the forward enge behind the spinner to protect paint..only takes a minute to do.

Awkward process but I've had best success as follows;

Bottom Cowl first
- place the vert hinge pins on top of the engine- easy to reach.
- (I'm right handed, so) right hand under cowl just in front of gear leg split, left hand along right horizontal hinge line.
- move cowl back, low enough to clear spinner, than lift it up till vert hinge matches firewall hinge within 1 or two loops. Pin it
- stabilize cowl as you move around to the left side, align vertical hinge & pin it
- move back over to the right side, loosen off the pin, adjust air inlet seal, align hinge & pin it
- back to the left side, remove pin, adjust front air inlet seal, than pin it.

than the Top Cowl
- place top in position, adjust front seals as required, install horizontal hinge pins next, than the top firewall hinge pins

Last
- install the lower cowl bottom pins, & leg fairings - done

Last edited:
Here's What I Did

I put my lift under the aft lower portion of the bottom cowl so it was within 2 inches of the bottom of the fuse. Then, I positioned the lower cowl at the rear and lifted the front up to within 2 inches of the spinner. I then pushed a table which was at 39" under the front of the lower cowl keeping it from falling down. Pinned both sides. I don't have lift in the hangar, though.

Cowls Top and BOttom Installed Port 3:4.jpg

Cowling install

I agree one person is easier. I know what I’m going to push or lift next, a helper I’m not so sure of. I use the anti-splat nose fairing guard and slide the canopy up the fairing clearing my 3 blade prop and once I’m behind the spinner lift straight up. Normally I can get one side 2 or 3 hinge pins from the top then left the other side into position. Pin the one side and go to the other side and lift the 2 or 3 hinges and pin into position. Now that the airframe is painted I put down painters tape to protect the spinner and cowling from scratching each other. It’s really not a big deal. Using 3 people would not be good or needed. The only tricky part is sliding the upper canopy hinge pins in through the oil door but even this gets easier with practice.

Back