What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

what pitot static fittings for garmin stuff?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
I had assumed the garmin stuff took run of the mill NPT fittings, but in reading through the manual, both the G5 and the GSU25 specifically call out 1/8" ANPT threaded fittings.

What are most people doing here? ordering special fittings, glopping on thread sealer to NPT? something else?

As I recall, the difference between NPT and ANPT is that ANPT is the same basic thread pattern, held to a tighter tolerance.

I believe that there is no A spec for the female fitting. On the male side, the NPTA fitting is the same basic thread design as the NPT with minor differences. Can't remember the details, but think it might be an extra degree of thread angle from the normal 60* std. I do believe that it is designed to slightly deform the threads on tightening, providing a better seal. That said, the proper sealant applied correctly on a std NPT thread will seal just fine. The NPTA was designed to provide leak free conditions without sealant, but don't think it really met that goal. I used std NPT fittings on my plane with no issues.

Larry

Last edited:
Back