What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ziptips wiring runs

Aviator

Well Known Member
Can anyone who has installed Ziptips elite in their -10 advise me on the number and length of wiring they used in their wings to the tips.
Damien says it needs fifteen wires in each wing. Really. I am confused looking at the one diagram they have on their site.
Thanks. Pics would be great as well to see how you have done it.

It is a bunch. I ran the wires through a hole I drilled in the side of the plane, roughly opposite the bushings in the wings for the wires. The plans from Aveo tell you what you need, but it is 3 bigger wires for landing lights, taxi lights, and ground, and then 7 or 8 smaller wires for strobes, position, anti-collision, sync, and master/slave control on the sync. I ran the wires forward through the wall of the plane to the panel area on both sides, except the strobe sync wire, which I routed aft and then through the same area as the flap torque tube.

I installed an Aveo taillight, too. Not required, but a three light strobe looks cool. The sync wire was tied together for all three near the flap motor.

I have a bunch of photos and descriptions in my blog (link below) under the lighting sub-category.

I'm using slip-on connectors (I'm thinking about wrapping each with heat shrink tubing for extra security) in the wing root and at the wing tip to allow for wingtip and wing removal. I used sub-d connectors, with heat shrink, for the taillight.

Back