What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition training in RV-4. Central FL area.

jull_under

RV friends.
Looking to get some transition training (insurance requirement) in an RV-4.
I may be able to convince the underwriter about a different tailwheel model.
Anyone around the Orlando area who can help.

Regards,
Mat

TW instructor

Mat,
Tim Preston, Preston Aviation, Winter Haven FL, KGIF, 863-956-2526.
Great TW instructor. No RV-4, he uses either a Citbria or a Stearman.
Highly recommended.
Dick

Thanks Dick. I have a TW endorsement.
I need time in type.

Mat,
Tim Preston, Preston Aviation, Winter Haven FL, KGIF, 863-956-2526.
Great TW instructor. No RV-4, he uses either a Citbria or a Stearman.
Highly recommended.
Dick

you are most likely going to have to get them to agree to time in a different model. first, there are only a few RV-4s in the area. mine being one of them. most RV-4's don't have rear seat controls or brakes, I for one would never give dual in mine. you should be able to get the insurance company to accept time in a RV-8 or a RV-6/7 or maybe a RV-9.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Thanks Bob.
Who can give me instruction in those different model types.
I have 21 hours on a Citabria and a tailwheel endorsement.

Regards.
Mat

I did transition training in my 4. One characteristic that I had poorly explained but experienced is the natural tendency to rapidly increase the angle of attack near stall speed in ground effect. The nose wants to lift and you must not allow it to or the wing will stall.
If you are close enough to the ground, the tailwheel will touch while the wing is still flying. If you do not have the correct sight picture to understand how high you are above the runway and the wing stalls, you can have a bad day. It takes a few landings to develop the sight picture of how close the wheels are to the runway.
One of the exercises that I found helpful was to fly 15 to 30 minutes with full flaps at altitude and learn the feel of how the plane maneuvers in the landing configuration.
The plane will be near the aft cg, find a small flight instructor, verify aft cg with after fuel burn.
You can really feel the non-linearity of the aerodynamic forces on manual flaps. Forces are very strong at 100 mph, not so much at 80 mph. I extend first notch below 100 mph, generally at 90 mph and full flaps at 80 mph (not knots).
Learn power settings to hold 80 with full flaps and use that setting in the pattern for base and final.
These speeds are indicated speed in my plane, yours may be different. Learn your airspeeds and flight characteristics in your plane at altitude before trying to land.
I am not a CFI, these are the things that I wish someone had told me ahead of time.

FYI...the airplane has full dual controls minus the brakes in the rear.
I can get a LODA for it as well.

I did transition training in my 4. One characteristic that I had poorly explained but experienced is the natural tendency to rapidly increase the angle of attack near stall speed in ground effect. The nose wants to lift and you must not allow it to or the wing will stall.
If you are close enough to the ground, the tailwheel will touch while the wing is still flying. If you do not have the correct sight picture to understand how high you are above the runway and the wing stalls, you can have a bad day. It takes a few landings to develop the sight picture of how close the wheels are to the runway.
One of the exercises that I found helpful was to fly 15 to 30 minutes with full flaps at altitude and learn the feel of how the plane maneuvers in the landing configuration.
The plane will be near the aft cg, find a small flight instructor, verify aft cg with after fuel burn.
You can really feel the non-linearity of the aerodynamic forces on manual flaps. Forces are very strong at 100 mph, not so much at 80 mph. I extend first notch below 100 mph, generally at 90 mph and full flaps at 80 mph (not knots).
Learn power settings to hold 80 with full flaps and use that setting in the pattern for base and final.
These speeds are indicated speed in my plane, yours may be different. Learn your airspeeds and flight characteristics in your plane at altitude before trying to land.
I am not a CFI, these are the things that I wish someone had told me ahead of time.

If you have an adult in the back I could see the issue described where it wants to quickly progress to high AOA in the flare but solo or with kid in the back it is really docile I feel like. My experience might be limited since I have flown 182 a lot then transitioned with 10hr in an RV-7 before flying my -4. The -4 is pretty easy I think. My speeds solo or with a small kid (50 pounds) with an o-360 up front is 60 to 65kt indicated on base turn and I target 57 to 60kt over the numbers. It floats quite a bit. Solo stall up high seems to be about 46 to 48kts power off. Everything described above is with full flaps.

Back