What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beyond the $100 Hamburger

Enjoyed the article and aerobatic RV8 video, nice flying! A good basic aerobatic course is on my to do list, hopefully this year. Most of my flying these days in my RV4 are solo short flights before work, what better than to learn and practice Acro...

great article

Thanks Ron for posting and maybe finding those RVers that want to see what they and their airplane can do.:D Contrary to many false opinions, the RVs approved for aerobatics are the best way to get into competition aerobatics at the Primary and Sportsman levels, in my opinion, and have proven so.
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

Thanks for sharing. I want to get into aerobatics with mine but I have an even stronger desire to learn formation and get good at it. Looks like some of the most enjoyable flying one could have.

Thanks for sharing. I want to get into aerobatics with mine but I have an even stronger desire to learn formation and get good at it. Looks like some of the most enjoyable flying one could have.

You can do both! When you master the basics of aerobatics you can find a few like-minded pilots and do some formation aerobatics. It's not just for airshow performers, you know. It is some of the most challenging and fun flying you will ever do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkRW8XjsSM

Great article, thanks!

Those that do formation flying, how do you get started?

I was interested in learning aerobatics, but have heard that formation flying is an even better (and more fun) way to improve your flying.

Great article, thanks!

Those that do formation flying, how do you get started?

I was interested in learning aerobatics, but have heard that formation flying is an even better (and more fun) way to improve your flying.

There are several groups around the country that offer formation clinics and I believe this is a great way to safely get involved. Most follow the direction of Formation Flying, Inc. which was started by the late Stu McCurdy in 1999. Most RV formation clinics will advertise their events here on VAF. While there may be some well meaning local formation groups that don't adhere to FFI standards I would encourage you to seek out those who do. FFI is authorized by the FAA to issue formation cards. A formation card is required to participate in formation flying at airshows or Aviation Events that are conducted under a Certificate of Waiver (CoW, or "waivered airspace"). Another organization the Formation and Safety Team (FAST) is also authorized to issue formation cards but FAST is mostly geared towards warbirds rather than RVs.

You will get a lot of conflicting views about which activity (formation vs aerobatics) makes you a better pilot. I have participated in formation and aerobatics at air shows and competition events for years and I'm not going to weigh in on either side. To me, both activities have made me a better pilot. The great thing about aerobatics is that you can do it all by yourself. It's tough to fly formation without at least one other participant. :D Fortunately one does not prohibit the other and I would encourage you to do both. For me, formation aerobatics is the ultimate challenge and anyone who gets good at that is probably considered a better than average pilot.

Back