What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight in an RV

NavyIBNFE

Good Evening RVers,

I have been with the Forum for a few months and am still up in the air on whether I want to buy or build.
I have visited the Vans factory in Oregon and have spoke with many RV owners and builders.
I am sure I have seen the offer on the forums before, I am not sure im even posting in the correct area, but i would like to know if there are any local (Western WA) RVers who would be willing to let me come watch their build for a few hours to see how some techniques are done and talk about building steps and possible road blocks.
OR maybe there are a few Flying RVers who would be interested in taking a passenger (ME :rolleyes:) up for an "intro" flight in an RV. I am mostly into the RV-8, but I understand for instruction or demo that the RV-6/7 would be better.
I am a Private Multi pilot with just over 100 hours an I have zero tailwheel time, but I like the TW -6, -7, and -8 the best. I am planning to get my endorsement soon. Maybe there is an instructor nearby who can give me a sign off in a -6 or -7?
This is all the general idea. If anyone has info about demo flights and instruction let me know- either on this thread or a PM.

Thank you and I look forward to meeting some RVers hopefully!

Jake

Build/buy

Jake,

I don't want to take sales away from Vans but the question is whether you are a builder or not.

In the current market you can often buy for less than you can build for, depending on the type. However, many of us like building and get as much enjoyment from that as flying. It can be a frustrating business though when you make mistakes, and we all do, some minor some major.

Buying gets you one now, building in two years or up to 20 depending on how life works its wonders.

I personally am the type that would always be building something, but in the current market I would be tempted to buy.

Hmmmmm...good question!

Jake,

I agree....that is a decision only you can make yourself. You have to have builders stamina to see a project through and a desire to create and build through all the good, bad, and ugly that comes with it....along with the simple joy of a well driven single rivet to the pride of birthing beautiful completed project!!! But proud ownership of a nice looking RV that someone else put a labor of love into is something to be proud of also....so it is a decision that only you can make based on life, time, and money.

In Harry Combs book "Kill Devil Hills", a biography of the Wright Bros.....he quotes Wilber as saying, "...the process involved in achieving powered flight was more fulfilling than the flight itself!"(adlib...don't have the book with me). That statement struck a chord in my heart because it is what drove me to building an RV-8....a desire that I have had since 1996, and is in the process of being realized as I sit here typing this. :D

Best wishes on your decision! YOL BOLSON!!!

If you decide you're not a builder, then the decision is clear; buy a flying RV-8. If on the other hand, you decide you are a builder, the decision to build an RV or fly an RV is not mutually exclusive. When my 9A build started taking too long, I decided to buy a flying 9. In the long run, I'm not sure this is going to cost me a thing. I shopped, I bargained, and in this economy I found a very good deal. When my 9 is done, I'll sell the beauty I'm flying. If the economy improves, I may make a little on my investment. If not, I'll have had a year or two of flying pleasure and perhaps break even. When I do my first flight, I'll know what to expect, too.

So, if you're a builder, its not an either or decision but you will need some extra bucks to tie up temporarily while you build.

Another way to think about it is that the choices don't have to be mutually exclusive. Buy today and enjoy flying. Later on, if you are so inclined, build something.

Another way to think about it is that the choices don't have to be mutually exclusive. Buy today and enjoy flying. Later on, if you are so inclined, build something.

This is my feeling. I recently purchased a flying 7A - and absolutely love flying it. I would love to someday build, but right now the way life is, a build would probably take me 10 years! Nothing wrong with that, but I love flying and had enough RV rides (and transition training) to know that 5-10 more years of the rental 172 would be torture:eek: Plus, if you plan on using an airplane for anything more than burning an hour of 100LL every now and then (e.g. overnights, all-day trips) rental costs get out of control - regardless of hobbs time flown.

I know absolutely nothing about building or airplane maintenance, but hope to become intimately familiar with my plane and learn all I can about its care and feeding - part of the fun of ownership to me (sometimes headaches as well...). Just in my short, couple months of ownership, I have met tons of great, current and previous owners and builders - my knowledge network is growing. Every little bit I learn about my airplane makes the desire to build even stronger. One of these days when life settles down a bit, I WILL join the builder ranks. Until then, I'm having a blast owning and flying one of the best bangs for the buck in the sky.

From your profile it looks like you're still on active duty. Will you be able to stay at Whidbey for the time it takes to finish a build project or is NAS Jacksonville in your future?

Dave
RV-6
Phase I

Buy/Build

Good Morning and thank you all for the responses so far.

It looks like a lot of what I was expecting- Building= time,money,frustration, and ultimately Joy.
Buying= More money up front, but joy within a couple weeks.

Like Skykingbob said, There is sometimes more joy in building the machine worthy of flight, rather than just the flight itself.

This definitely sums up how I feel about building. I do have the mechanical knowledge (most gained in the military over the last 5 years) to at least follow the plans and directions ;)

As far as MY pros go for building- I can buy kits parts as I am ready for them, spreading out the cost over a couple years. When it comes time for an engine I would have to consider some financial help, or Sell the Corvette :mad:
I also agree with the one who said the part about Renting the C172.. that has been expensive over the last couple years.. I could have purchased an Emp and Wings for what Ive paid. I am ok with flying a lot less while building- I can only afford so many hobbies at a time.

Now MY pros about buying, with some cons..
Buying gets me flying a great plane soon, be it a -4, -6, -7, or -8. Im not that picky when it comes to these RVs.
The only real con about buying- is the large sum of upfront money. Putting 15% - 20% down on a flying RV will nearly wipe out all my savings. That could be a security issue especially with the military if I dont make the cut to reenlist.

I have been actively watching the forums and barnstormers looking at flying RVs for sale and kits at various stages of completeness. Mostly QB kits that are still mostly untouched.. theres always a few out there- usually a great deal compared to new also.

Whidbey

Forgot this part-

I have just moved to Whidbey from NAS Jacksonville. I grew up in WA so this is home for me for a while. I wont be up for orders again for 3 years and I would most likely be able to stay here if I asked.

Flights

You originally asked about flights and training. If you can swing it, go schedule some time with Mike Seager near Portland. He is a factory endorsed transition trainer and is excellent.

As for demo flights, any active duty military gets a free ride in my plane anytime I can make it happen. I'm not that far away from you (RV speed) so PM me and I'll let you know if I'm over your way. If you are in my neighborhood, all you have to do is ask. However, I suspect there is an RV owner or two within a stones throw of you that will make the same offer.

Also, if you are wondering whether you are a builder or a buyer, I suggest taking Synergy's Intro to building class in Eugene. It's a cheap, one day class that will give you a really good hands-on feel of what building involves, as well as the mental and financial parts.

You sound like a builder to me, for what it's worth...and you have my thanks for serving this great country that allows us to build and fly these airplanes with such freedom.

Head to Arlington

Since you're at Whidbey, you can wander down to Arlington on any given weekend and wander the hanger rows and probably fine a number of RV guys out there, especially is the weather is flyable. I'm sure any of them will be happy to answer any questions you have, and if you're lucky, you'd probably score a ride.

I'm still a firm believer in my personal bank. I bought an Air Tractor last fall and got 5.5%, guaranteed fixed, seven-year financing. They also hold my RV-10 paper and it's just about paid for.

Best,

Building

I went through the same thing before I built my 10. I am really glad I did the build. I was worried about money and time but when I finally decided to order the tail kit I was dedicated. It took me 25 months to complete a slowbuild 10. The separate kits helped me save up while I was building so never had to borrow.
Building your own allows you to get exactly what you want. It is cheaper than a new certified plane that compares and you can work on it by being the repairmen. Even though I have an A&P, having the Experimental is sooo much cheaper than certified to maintain. Parts alone save a bundle. I don't think I'll ever buy a certified plane now that I have experienced the experimental side of aviation. Oh ya, I also learned a bunch by building, from riveting to fiberglass to wiring. Best part is all the friends from cool places like VAF you'll find.

Thanks!

Thanks to all you guys who have posted-
I will be in touch with a few of you in the future and hopefully stay dedicated with a build, if thats what I choose to start. For NOW that is what Id like to do. I can outright buy the sub kits and build over time, all the while being financially able still to go buy a flying -6 or something while I build.
Deploying can be tough on the relationship with my, soon to be, RV... But I think with the right counseling and guidance from other builders We will be ok :D

I am taking the family (parents and siblings, I am still single thankfully) to Leavenworth this weekend then Watching Superbowl. If next weekend looks good on the weather channel I will zip over to Arlington and see about meeting some local RVers, one has already PM'd me about visiting.

Thank you all for the continuous info and knowledge. I will be back in touch with Ms Thomas from NAFCO in the future if I decide to buy tho. I spoke with her in person for a bit to get all my questions answered. The only thing I really have against me is my age and short credit history... less than 6 years... So that can make for more down and higher rates, but it will all work out in time. Still, as many have mentioned, much more financially applicable than buying a certified spam can.

Jake

Back