What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Secondhand kit questions

rmartingt

Well Known Member
I am considering purchasing a partially-completed 6 project (you might have seen it advertised), but part of my concern is getting the repairman certificate after completion--I don't want to jump in and find out afterwards that I won't be able to get that, or have trouble getting signed off on the build.

The empennage is done, fuselage is basically untouched stock quickbuild, and the wings are slow-build with just the spars riveted. Does anyone think I'd have a problem with the paperwork or a repairman's certificate? If it helps, I have prior RV-6 experience...

You should have not trouble at all.
First off, for certification the aircraft has to be 51% "amateur-built". Doesn't matter who or how many build.
For the repairman certificate you just have to show that you built a sufficient portion of the aircraft to proficiently perform the condition inspection.

You should have not trouble at all.
First off, for certification the aircraft has to be 51% "amateur-built". Doesn't matter who or how many build.
For the repairman certificate you just have to show that you built a sufficient portion of the aircraft to proficiently perform the condition inspection.

Thanks Mel! It looks like the proportion of the work to be done is still more than would be present on a quickbuild, so I'm feeling a little better about things.

Sounds like my airplane. The empennage I bought was about 60% complete. Purchased the wing and fuselage kits from a different builder. Spar was "pre-built" an option on the old kits.

The local FSDO/MIDO performed my inspection. They wanted to see my receipts for the kits, build documentation from the original empennage owner, and my builder logs. During the build I had my wife take lots of pictures of me doing the work. No problem getting the Repairman certificate.

Good luck.

Dave
RV-6
Waiting for snow to melt
to continue Phase I

Another thing to understand is that, except when explicitly prohibited by the operating limitations, anybody can maintain or repair an amateur-built experimental aircraft. The only unique privilege conferred by the repairbeing certificate is that of signing off the annual condition inspection.

Another thing to understand is that, except when explicitly prohibited by the operating limitations, anybody can maintain or repair an amateur-built experimental aircraft. The only unique privilege conferred by the repairbeing certificate is that of signing off the annual condition inspection.

Thanks; I'm aware of the maintenance and repair aspect, and my concern is specifically with the condition inspection.

Another thing to make sure is that your able to get the Bill Of Sale from Vans for the kit. Shouldn't be a problem but it's worth looking into.

One more thing, you'll need to send Van's a copy of your "bill of sale" of the kits. Van's will then assign the builder number on the kits to you. You'll use that number on all future correspondence/purchases from Van's. After I purchased my finish kit, all I had to do was ask and Van's sent me the Bill of Sale needed to register the airplane.

Dave
RV-6
Phase I

registration

Make sure the builder did not get a Certificate of Aircraft Registration in his name with the FAA the kit I bought the builder jumped the gun and reg it as a airplane with tail # and him as the manufacturer I changed it from a RV6A to a RV6 and im the builder as it was barely started and I have been trying to contact him with no responce as I bought it from the person he sold it to and the Faa says I cannot reg it as me being the builder without a letter of seperation from him. So check your paper work.Also when I bought finish kit Vans sent me a bill of sale.
Bob

It CAN be a problem if the original kit owner has "registered" the airplane. Doesn't happen often, but sometime does.
I had a friend who sold his -9A kit after it was registered and then passed away. We had a terrible time getting it straightened out. Fortunately his wife had power of attorney. That helped.

Thanks; I'm aware of the maintenance and repair aspect, and my concern is specifically with the condition inspection.

I figured as much, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. Many folks have odd ideas about what the repairbeing certificate does for them.

And, by the way, I have long maintained that to some degree the RC has negative value. A condition inspection is a good opportunity to bring in a fresh set of eyes and a new perspective to look over your work. Of note, the condition inspection can be done by any A&P mechanic, the IA required for an Airworthiness inspection on a certificated aircraft is not necessary for EABs. Also, the owner (or anybody, for that matter) is entitled to perform repairs or maintenance to address any discrepancies found. So the condition inspections on EAB aircraft are rarely the pricey stressfests that annual airworthiness inspections sometimes are for certificated aircraft.

Thanks, Bob K.

.... So the condition inspections on EAB aircraft are rarely the pricey stressfests that annual airworthiness inspections sometimes are for certificated aircraft.

Thanks, Bob K.

Exactly what Bob said...the big reason that Experimental aviation, by far, trumps store-built airplanes! Parts cost on certed stuff is horrendous compared to ANY of Van's parts, plus you can fab your own for pennies.

Best,

Back