What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Boot up time / turn on time

RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
To all the guys flying with a glass cockpit (EFIS), how long (time in seconds or minutes seconds) does it take for you EFIS to turn on, boot up, or reboot? Which brand EFIS are you using?

I could not find this info on the different manufacturers websites or by searching this forum.

I assume that turn on, boot up, and reboot all take the same amount of time.

Not sure in seconds, but I turn on the backup battery (which powers up the EFISs), then adjust seat, put on seatbelts, put on headset, put on glasses-----and the EFIS has booted up by the time I am ready to start the engine.

Main battery on, boost pump to prime, and start. And the EFIS is already on, with the engine gauges reporting.

Very similar to Mike - I have never timed it exactly, but the GRT takes about as long to boot as it takes me to do the rest of the pre-start checklist. The G3X is faster.

You getting ready to build a new panel Gary? ;)

A Dynon D10/D100/D6 is about 6 seconds from power application or button press to being functional.

A Dynon SkyView is about 25 seconds.

You getting ready to build a new panel Gary? ;)

Yes.

I intend to do a complete panel redo before the 2020 ADS-B mandate. May need to do it sooner. I was just about to blame my new Dynon EMS D10 for causing interference (EMI) to my GX60 display. The interference is on the GX60 with the EMS D10 turned off so I cannot blame the new equipment. It appears to be just a coincidence that I have a new intermittent problem and I have a PAID IFR database for the GX60 for the next 6-months.

May need a $500 repair to the GX60 if it is the display diver and not the display. The display is NOT available. Do not like the idea of spending a $K or two for a replacement used GX60 that may not last the next 7-years.

If you are relying on your EMS as the only indication of oil pressure, it is a good idea that it boots up within 30 seconds or less for obvious reasons.
In regard to your night flying questions, I have seen a lot of people complain about "idiot" lights being way too bright at night. If you put them on a dimmer, then you add the potential of not seeing them come on during the day if you forget to brighten them back up.

If you are relying on your EMS as the only indication of oil pressure, it is a good idea that it boots up within 30 seconds or less for obvious reasons.
In regard to your night flying questions, I have seen a lot of people complain about "idiot" lights being way too bright at night. If you put them on a dimmer, then you add the potential of not seeing them come on during the day if you forget to brighten them back up.

The Dynon EMS D10 that I just installed and have not flown yet boots up in less than 3-seconds.

A well engineered central warning system (fancy term for idiot lights) should automatically illuminate each NEW warning at full brightness until cancelled, even when the panel is dimmed...for exactly the reason JJ mentions.

Approximate times:

I have the GRT EIS (engine instruments) on at start up. It boots up in less time than it takes to prime, and shows oil pressure and an idiot light if none within seconds of engine start.
GRT Horizon takes about 40 seconds to come alive and show the engine page, with CHT, oil temp, etc This info is also available on the EIS but I choose not to page thru it looking for it, I only routinely use it for oil pressure and rpm on startup.
GRT Horizon takes about 2 minutes to boot up air data info and reach an attitude solution. They recommend not moving for at least the first 30 seconds, I think.

My G3X system boots in about 5-7 seconds for EMS and Air Data, with AHRS alignment about 30-60 seconds after that. Unfortunately engine start usually causes a reboot because I don't have a backup power source. I still get EMS indications shortly thereafter but I may do the backup power thing. One way to see the oil pressure is coming up might be with a pressure switch and indicator light but so far I'm okay with what I have. As far as indicator light dimming, using a relay connected to the nav lights worked best for me, as I never turn 'em on during the day. Some lights ("warning level" such as canopy unlatched, etc.) probably should not have a dim setting. Lights that merely indicate system operation (pitot heat or boost pump on, seat heaters, etc.) should be able to be dimmed. (See the recent thread "Night Flight")

Last edited:
Approximate times:

I have the GRT EIS (engine instruments) on at start up. It boots up in less time than it takes to prime, and shows oil pressure and an idiot light if none within seconds of engine start.
GRT Horizon takes about 40 seconds to come alive and show the engine page, with CHT, oil temp, etc This info is also available on the EIS but I choose not to page thru it looking for it, I only routinely use it for oil pressure and rpm on startup.
GRT Horizon takes about 2 minutes to boot up air data info and reach an attitude solution. They recommend not moving for at least the first 30 seconds, I think.

Similar to Bob, EIS boots in a few seconds so it is good for oil P and FF for starting an injected engine.

In regards to GRT Horizon (WS) boot, during phase one I learned about needing to stay still for a portion of the boot. I had my head up somewhere dark and wound up in the air with a tumbling AHRS twice by not waiting still on the ground. I have changed procedure to wait until the boot is complete (normal 45 seconds) rather than the shorter time stated by GRT. If you move during the boot, allignment will extend to 2 minutes.

MGL iEFIS or Vogager/Odyssey G2 between 4 and 6 seconds depending largely on whether a SD card is inserted and what file checks need to be done on the SD card (for example there may be a firmware update on the card so the EFIS has to check if it needs to be loaded). iEFIS is slightly faster than G2, perhaps a second or so.

It is so fast now we no longer bother with splash or startup screens. It's pretty much "switch on and go".

Rainier

Like Mike, my aux battery powers the entire panel. I pull the plane out and hit the ebus switch. By the time I close the door, one last walk around and strap in the GRT is ready to go. Wx has started downloading on 496 and no interruptions from start up. Its fast enough, but more importantly dependable.

Boot up or ready to move?

My AFS boots in about 10 seconds, but you are instructed on the screen not to move the aircraft for about 1 minute while it does a cal of the magnetometer. My TruTrack AP needs about 10 seconds before the aircraft is moved.

Anyway this time is not a problem as I am usually adjusting the flaps and other things during that time.

Kent

GX60

Gary,

Try covering the photo electric cell with your finger or black tape the next time you get interference. It is located in the upper LH corner of the front face. Direct sunlight causes a problem on mine 95% of the time so I put a small velcro self adhesive filter over it.

Raniers newest bootloader for the MGL G2 is fast, like he said. Couple seconds.

Just for completeness sake, there is no time needed before the aircraft is allowed to be moved on any MGL system, past or present. In fact the system can be started in flight without any issues. There is no requirement for the compass it can be started in any attitude or state of the aircrafts acceleration vectors. For the AHRS to startup correctly the only requirement is unaccelerated flight for a few seconds (within reason, a bit does not matter - the AHRS just wants to get an idea in what direction the planet Earth is using its accelerometers) - it does not matter what the aircrafts attitude is.
This also applies for our high grade ring gyro AHRS, the SP-5 and soon to be put into production SP-9.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Back