What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plastic brake lines

mattsmith

Well Known Member
Hi,
I am installing the rudder pedals in the 8A permanently and don't like the way the break lines coming from the reservoir to the master cylinder are routed. It seems the ice maker lines could get entangled with the peddles pretty easily or my size 13 flipper could cause some problems. I have seen the reservoir that attach directly to the master cylinder to eliminate a leak, but think this would be hard to service. Has anyone done something deferent with the plastic lines?

Thanks Matt.

Some (myself included) have changed to braided lines, pre-made by Bonaco.com They advertise on this site. Very nice (proper) looking.

Bevan
Rv7A not flying yet. Wiring.

I have seen the reservoir that attach directly to the master cylinder to eliminate a leak, but think this would be hard to service.

Just a datapoint for you on the individual reservoirs. I have had them on my RV-8 since it was new - over five years and 1250 hours - and have had to access them exactly ZERO times for servicing. The brake system is just that solid.....

The icemaker hose just never thriled me!

Paul

Bonaco ss/teflon flex lines for me too...

rated at 3,000 psi working/12,000 psi burst vs supplied in kit tubing rated at 500 psi. Call them and they will know exactly what size, length and type fittings needed. Quick shippment too.

Also went with Nylo seal NNR pitot/static tubing rated at 1,500 psi and fittings vs "no name tubing" in the kit. NNR is self extinguishing...I tried it with "no name" and it just kept burning hotter.

Just another data point to further confuse and frustrate you..... I used the kit supplied plastic lines that came with the kit and have had no problems with them on two airplanes over a period of about 8 or 9 years (I forget) and several hundred flight hours. If you route the lines per plans, your size 13 flippers won't interfere with them. Those long toes could possibly hit the bottom of the forward baggage floor. I know a lot of people have had leaks, and maybe I'm just lucky, but I've found if you use the Safe-Aire push on fittings, you not only won't have a leak, but they are very easy to use. The braided Bonaco lines look great, although they are expensive, heavier, and in terms of pressure are overkill to a large degree. There is no pressure on those lines - other than head pressure do to gravity from the firewall mounted reservoir to the brake cylinders, probably less than 1 psi. If you decide to go with the rudder pedal mounted reservoir, you can access it pretty easily with the forward baggage floor removed. In fact I wish I would have made those baggage floor screws easier to remove by running an 8-32 tap into the platenuts to make the screw easier to remove/install. I enlarged the screw holes in the floor to help things line up a little better, but they are still kind of a pain to get back in. Good luck with your build.

The original design works!

I have had the plastic "ice-maker" lines on my -6 for almost 18 years. No leaks. I have them on the reservoir and pressure side, from the reservoir all the way through 4 master cylinders (2 each side) to the firewall.

Ditto

I have had the plastic "ice-maker" lines on my -6 for almost 18 years. No leaks. I have them on the reservoir and pressure side, from the reservoir all the way through 4 master cylinders (2 each side) to the firewall.

Except for the 18 year part and no dual brakes.
I would venture there are more of us running stock systems than "upgraded" ones. Just a guess.

I do have the cylinder mounted reservoirs on my Bucker. No problem there either but it is not easy to check fluid levels simply due to access. They only get checked at annual and thus far require very little if any fluid.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Van's method of using the plastic brake lines. They do a great job with minimal weight. Those who complain of leaks failed to install them properly.;)

plastic lines from pedal to brakes

Has anyone used the truck air brake plastic lines to go from the rudder pedals to the brakes down at the wheels?

Has anyone used the truck air brake plastic lines to go from the rudder pedals to the brakes down at the wheels?

Van's used to use plastic all the way to to brakes, but the brake end gets hot and it would cause leaks. I've had no problems with the plastic brake lines from the master cyl to the reservoir.

Many have used-

the nylon (plastic) brake lines for pedals for years with no issues. For piece of mind, and no brass connections, we build -4 stainless teflon assemblies with stainless hose end fittings. Small, compact package versus 303 or 701 hose.
Tom

Back