What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I?m on the way....

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
This morning I left home to cross the Atlantic in my RV-8, fly around the US and finally end up in Oshkosh.
Some time ago I never thought about flying extended legs over water, others did it and it fascinated me ever since.
Fast forward: I?m already in Wick, Scotland and tomorrow I?m planning to fly to Reykjavik and Kulusuk in Greenland.

Here is a link for my Inreach tracker:

https://eur-share.inreach.garmin.com/share/hschiele

vloPyBj.png

Good luck with the weather Hermann!

Did you try the Old Pulteney at the Norseman? - Wick's finest.

'Hope to see you at OSH and hear about your voyage.

Good Luck!

Great to see you're on the way Hermann! Remember - you and your RV-8 are welcome at my place outside of Chicago if you need a place to stay while you're in the area.

All The Best...

Wish you a safe and uneventful crossing....
I'll be watching. It would be great to shake your hand at Oshkosh. :)

Mach?s gut Hermann ;)
I?d wish to be able to fly along...
Still, enjoying EU here, just made the Swedish RV an the French RV fly-ins in one go :D Tobi?s here in France as well.

Tailwinds :cool:

Mark,
I was not aware of the distillery at Norseman, strange I don?t even drink beer!

Paddy, I might come back on your offer just before Oshkosh.

Two more offers in Georgia and Tennessee, thanks and I will see where I will pass.

Today I made good progress and had tailwinds on the westerly heading, great. only 03:28 from Wick to Reykjavik, and I took 10 minutes off for sightseeing of 02:34 from Reykjavik to Kulusuk. Approaching Greenland in perfect weather is unbelievable and I?m still stunned. Here are two pics:

GPnC2z5.jpg

PwuIuyA.jpg

Cool photos! Having flown over Iceland and Greenland many times during my career, the scenery is stunning on the days that are cloud free...and those days are rare!

Ice cap

Hermann,

Enjoy the flight over the Greenland ice cap. Look out for polar bears!

Nuuk is a good alternate airport.

Last edited:
So jealous. I grew up/learned to fly not to far from where you took of (Schwaebisch Hall) and flying back there in my RV-8 from where I live now (NJ/USA) is still on my bucket list ... .

Best of luck!

Oliver

I was grounded yesterday because the airports in Greenland are closed Sundays. I enjoyed the landscape and relaxed a bit. Today the weather was still perfect for flying and I had a spectacular departure at Kulusuk and couldn?t resist to stay low for a few minutes for sightseeing. I don?t find words to describe what I saw but I show you some pics I made this morning. The ice-cap and west coast where I flew is not as breathtaking as the area around Kulusuk.
The forecast for Iqualit was not so good for the last hour of flight but I didn?t see a single cloud and again had perfect flying conditions.

ppp8Fy4.jpg

vK4zGQX.jpg

Fjx27rR.jpg

LuwC7lN.jpg

Right base for Rwy 09 at Kangerlussuaq BGSF

rfcuaRY.jpg

I have a 10 Gal Tank installed in the rear baggage area. Although stock fuel would work this makes for relaxed planning. Wind is not so decisive and alternate planning is easier. I miss the baggage space however.

Go Herman, I'll follow your track. See you, you'll have a lot of story to tell us in Europe when back.

Say Hi to the Oshkosh Van's friends.

:)

I?m on my way.....

Hi Herman, looks like your making great progress.

When you land at CYAM tell the ground controller you want to taxi to the T-hangars, ask for directions they will point you in the right direction. When your taxiing into the T hangar taxiway turn left and taxi down between the first and second blue buildings. I?m the last hangar on the right.

If you can give me a heads up I can meet you there.

Terry

Hermann, I?m really enjoying watching your progress! if your travels take you over southeast Michigan, feel free to stop at 45G. I?ll provide a bed and a beer or two, and will spring for a load of fuel.

Today I planned for La Grande Riviere CYGL, however they had poor weather conditions there so I replanned to Sept-Iles CYZV more to the East. Had around 15 kts headwind and flew with 50% power. Took me 06:04 h and I had 10 Gal left. Unfortunately all hotel rooms were booked (yes i didn?t plan for hotel rooms) and the very friendly FBO sorted things out: They found a room at Baie-Comeau CYBC, 40 RV-minutes away. This was the first flight again without all the emergency gear hooked up and flying with casual clothes and the ANR Bose was like a new experience!

In Iqualit just prior my departure I met Bert Rose from "Polar Pilots", he gave me some good information flying up north and with him was a Indian woman who is presently flying around the world from east to west in a Pipistrel motor-glider. It is always a pleasure to meet pilots and have some airplane talk. They allowed me to post some pics:

2JG0C4L.jpg

Oe93pco.jpg

Tomorrow I?m planning for CYAM, Terry already gave me directions to meet him there. I can find airports thousands of miles away but on the ground my actual navigation performance is below standard, so Terry look out for me!

Longranger - your offer is noted, can I change the beer for a coke?

Tomorrow I?m planning for CYAM, Terry already gave me directions to meet him there. I can find airports thousands of miles away but on the ground my actual navigation performance is below standard, so Terry look out for me!

If ou have time to Stop by and see Miles, I would love to come over to meet you and say hi to Miles again! Keep us informed.

This it fantastic!
If the mountain flying video was not motivational enough, we now have flying the Atlantic!
It?s on my bucket list to do it one day.

Good luck and safe journey!

What a journey ! Fantastic flights !
Glad to see that you have crossed the dangerous areas with success.

See you at Oshkosh.

Absolutely! Whatever your preference.

Diesen Mann?s mantel isn?t Sehr Ganz, whas ist los machen sie hosen

Hermann,
I knew how to get in one of those suits but never had to don.

Great voyage.

See you in Oshkosh.

Boomer

Note: google doesn?t like to translate German above.

Another flying day. Planned nonstop to Sault St. Marie CYAM, 752 NM. At the airport I met a helicopter pilot flying an Agusta something. Of course talking to him did cost me at least half an hour. His helicopter had some pressure bottles and something packed on the skids. He said these are inflatable swimmers including life rafts. Got me thinking - I had other ideas with my RV-8!
Headwinds were stronger than forcasted but I managed it without an additional fuel stop. At the airport Terry was waiting - sorry for being late - with some young enthusiastic student pilots. I can store my emergency equipment in Terry?s hangar and so have a little more comfort for the coming flights. We had dinner together talking about flying - what else!!

5I9lhXN.jpg

Congratulations on your safe oceanic crossing! Enjoy OSH and the State's while you are here.

Plan a Stop at KLVN

If you have time to stop at KLVN July 17 for EAA Chapter 25 Monthly meeting food and social. You would be an honored guest.

Mike

Yesterday I made the short hop from Sault Ste Marie CYAM to Sault Ste Marie Sanderson KANJ to clear US customs. From there I headed towards Bismarck KBIS, passed some rainshowers and arrived in good weather there. I was parked right in front of the FBO and so left for the hotel. In the evening I checked the weather and noticed that CB´s are forecasted in the vicinity and severe storms more to the south. It didn´t feel right and at 10:30 pm I headed back to the airport to get a hangar for the Skyrunner.
Next morning I planned for Wendover KENV instead of Helena due weather. However I flew into some rain and drizzle with decreasing visibility and had to start maneuvering. I passed an airfield and should have landed to sit out the worst but didn´t. Finally I made it through but lost time and range and decided for a fuel stop at Custer KCUT not before having a look at the Mt. Rushmore Monument. The last flight was very bumpy but with perfect visibility.

vdys135.jpg

UWhv9kE.jpg

Approaching Wendover KENV over the Bonneville Salt Flats.

What a trip! You are welcome to stop in for and stay a night or two at SC47 if you get into this area. Jeff Warren 864-2753798

Hermann- where are you headed currently? Looks like you made it to NV, wondering if you are headed up to the mothership or elsewhere.

No problem, things doesn't always go as planned. I can go to town for dinner with some pilots here.
And yes it is Johnson Creek.

I made some new friends in Johnson Creek, we don?t have these kind of airfields in Europe and this was a real new experience. I might try another field in Idaho soon.

Sunday I set off for an airport near Seattle and initially only made it to Yakima KYKM. I took the opportunity and refueled while I was there. Checked the weather, but it didn?t look right over the Cascade Mountains. A friend was waiting and gave me very accurate weather updates and recommendations. I set off and initially didn?t follow his advice hoping for a shortcut. I ended up going south again (he was right) and in fact lost some time. At least I past Mt. Rainier and got some pics. Finally landed at Arlington KAWO late afternoon.

Next morning we met at Arlington for Breakfast, chatted a bit - you guess about what - and flew to Friday Harbor FHR. He in his Bonanza and I followed in my -8i. Some more aviation talk there and I was very impressed about his aviation knowledge. Whatever I asked there was an immediate answer or explanation. He is a real aviation expert!! And he offered me a hangar in Boulder City should I pass there - I will.

I ended up today in Anacortes 74S.

EPiXkyD.jpg

Saturday evening at Johnson Creek

GDZUY3x.jpg

Db6izsO.jpg

GqxEMaW.jpg

Bruce Williams with his Bonanza and me with my RV-8i

Last edited:
Back