What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

air fuel ratio

mattsmith

Well Known Member
why shouldn't I put a A/F ratio gauge in my plane? . I have used them in the past to tune car carburators and thought it worked great, no guessing. It seems it would be very beneficial in an airplane going from 0 to 10,000 feet and making sure you have the correct A/F, 12.5 on climb, 14.7 cruise and 15.5 LOP cruise. I don't hear or see anyone installing them, just wondering if there is a reason?

They apparently have a rather short service life when using highly leaded fuel, like 100LL.
There is one brand that seems to hold up better than another. Ross F. may chime in here to help with which brand to get.

They do seem a great idea. Once we go to unleaded avgas, I bet they become widely used.

They apparently have a rather short service life when using highly leaded fuel, like 100LL.
There is one brand that seems to hold up better than another. Ross F. may chime in here to help with which brand to get.

They do seem a great idea. Once we go to unleaded avgas, I bet they become widely used.

+1

In addition, the substandard intake designs on the Lycomings, with their poor distribution, would likely require require readings from both exhaust exits to get meaningful data with a carb or unbalanced FI setup. EGT will still be required, as you must adjust A/F to the worst performing cylinder.

Larry

EFIS

With a good EFIS, most of us get used to doing it just as well with Full EGT probes and computer monitoring. It is amazing sometimes as to how far these EFIS systems and monitoring have come now a days. Yours. R.E.A. III #80888

Back