What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

all log books backed up!

turbo

Well Known Member
all aircraft log books backed up!

it only took ten minutes and a camera. this was my new years resolution to my aircraft. filed away in a safe deposit box, time well spent. the plan is to update the sd card at the beginning of each year. there is many good reasons to do this.
BA9FC385-ACA8-46A1-BD23-CF21D03BF4FE.jpg

have a great year.
ACBFC017-C979-41E3-AD7C-3A7FE2CD4A0C.jpg

Last edited:
Back up

Scan your pilot log books as well.
Keep more than one backup. One on the personal puter, one on a backup drive on site ad one backup off site. The thumb drive in safe deposit is a good idea. Google drive works as well.
Maybe a good time to think about all those other precious files like photos.

I've done that with my pilot logbook but never thought about doing the same for the plane logs. Good idea.

Yes! Back-up all your logs. Being an old f*** I like paper back up in my safety deposit box.
Not to throw gasoline on the fire but, electronic storage of any kind has been problematic. First, the storage medium changes every five years or so. Remember 8 inch floppies, 3 inch minis, magnetic tape, CDs, thumb drives. Many of them can no longer be read. All develop errors over time with storage.
Unless you want to rebackup to a new medium every five years or so.......be careful.

While you're at it, make copies of the front and back of all credit cars, bank cards, etc. Then you'll have all the account numbers (and 800 numbers) at the ready in case your wallet gets lost/stolen.

I had backups

carefully photocopied and neatly filed in my desk file drawer. The night of the fire, the originals and the backups were all at the scene. Not one page survived.

Digital or photocopied: Go "off-site" or go home :(

-Stormy

And I'll add another item to be listed on your safe-deposit paper backups - a list of firearm types and serials, for insurance or police report purposes in case of fire or burglary.

I don't know Turbo if I want to spend so much time with camera on my logbooks. They are piling up fast and not everything inside is kosher. I need to hire a scanning company :D

Does anybody know where I can buy a 14 lines Jepp Pro Pilot logbook?

Vlad,

Go electronic. Many of them out there, pros and cons all around. My choice was Logbook Pro by NC Software. It allows you to manipulate the entries for a printed report. Make the entry as best you can, and then make the report as kosher as you (or an employer / insurance provider) want. Many folks interpret flight time many different ways, give them what they want. Of course, maybe it is different in the rail yards, youse guys doos whats youse want! :D

(I have that big Jepp log book, thought it was the way to go when I came back to the civilian side, even put my name on it in gold leaf. All it does now is collect signatures for BFR's and such).

Last edited:
It's easiest to take a movie, quickly turning through the pages of the book. When you play the movie just hit pause to read a page. You can then take screen captures if you want individual page pictures. Upload the movies to vimeo or youtube and consider them immortal (you can make them private).

Try the Docscan app.

Works easy on the phone and your mcan easily add to it or organize pages, files and folders.

Engine Log Folder
Airframe log folder
Pilot Log folder
Etc....

carefully photocopied and neatly filed in my desk file drawer. The night of the fire, the originals and the backups were all at the scene. Not one page survived.

Digital or photocopied: Go "off-site" or go home :(

-Stormy

Or get a decent fireproof safe.

Vlad,

Go electronic. Many of them out there, pros and cons all around. My choice was Logbook Pro by NC Software. It allows you to manipulate the entries for a printed report. Make the entry as best you can, and then make the report as kosher as you (or an employer / insurance provider) want. Many folks interpret flight time many different ways, give them what they want. Of course, maybe it is different in the rail yards, youse guys doos whats youse want! :D

(I have that big Jepp log book, thought it was the way to go when I came back to the civilian side, even put my name on it in gold leaf. All it does now is collect signatures for BFR's and such).

+1 on Logbook Pro. The archive or backup file can easily be stored in an email account or wherever suits you.

Make sure you keep more than one backup. The long-term archival characteristics of flash memory are unproven, it'd be pretty bad if ten years down the track your paper was still in good condition but your flash was unreadable.

For medium to long term storage, you also need to think about whether it'll be possible to buy/operate devices which can read the media. For example, anyone who used floppy disks for archival purposes even five years ago will now have increasing difficulty finding computers with hardware and software support to read them. I know a few companies who have magtape locked away in archival vaults which may or may not be readable, and may or may not be recoverable with obtainable hardware.

Store in CSV format, because your fancy logbook software might not be available in ten or fifteen years. Or even if it is available, you might not be able to find a computer or operating system it'll run on.

Best to pick multiple formats, multiple locations. Include several cloud storage providers in the mix.

- mark

Free backups

I hear the US government offers free eternal backups to everyone who emails someone outside the US. Getting a copy from the NSA might be difficult though...

Back