What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What supplies needed for first condition inspection?

bruceh

Well Known Member
I'm trying to line up all of the stuff I might need for my first condition inspection. Airplane has just over 100 hours since first flight, so I'm not expecting any big maintenance issues.

I'll be changing the oil, oil filter, checking the brake pads, tightening nuts and bolts that might need new cotter pins, and resafety wiring items.

What other sort of items should I have on hand before I start?

I hope that the weather will be good enough to get up to Aircraft Spruce this weekend and pick everything up.

Condition Inspection

-Oil filter cutter
-safety wire
-fuel filters
-lube for controls
-extra screws and washers in case you lose some
-small containers for each well pant screw set, fairing,etc
-brake fluid and way to service reservoir
-grease and grease gun for wheels, prop
-vacuum for interior
-engine compression checker and compressor
-spark plug wrench and plug cleaner
-wrenches to check all fittings
-air gauge
-brake relining tool and rivets
-etc

Wheel bearing grease

Safety wire

Internal tooth lock washers in various sizes

Assorted screws and bolts - especially #8-32

Cotter pins, assorted, especially the large ones for the wheels

Spark plug cleaning and gapping tools

Your favorite lubrication spray (LPS-2?)

More stuff to bring

Be sure to bring rags, a torque wrench and a 1" socket. You'll need the socket to torque the oil filter. You may want to bring some 409 or Fantastic too.

Be sure to bring rags, a torque wrench and a 1" socket. You'll need the socket to torque the oil filter. You may want to bring some 409 or Fantastic too.
I would be wary about using 409 or Fantastic on your airplane. It might not be friendly to aluminum. I know original Simple Green should not be used on airplanes, but Simple Green has a product that is OK on aluminum.

Spark plug washers
Crush washer for oil sump screen
If you have a carb you will want to remove the fuel screen and this requires a specialty washer

Add an extra week to your schedule for ordering and shipping of the material and/or parts you never anticipated needing, then more time as required for implementation. None of us can predict what you'll encounter on your airplane, and it's the arcane bit that will get you six months after your CI. Stock wearables, consumables, and the odd seals and gaskets that you can't get without ACS or manufacturer supply, e.g., brake puck and gascolator O-rings.

John Siebold

air filter supplies?

Bruce:

Don't know if you have the K&N (reusable) air filter- you might think about the recharge kit.

91% alcohol (a/c supply aisle of your local drugstore) and a small spray bottle is very handy for degreasing... if you're not a smoker.

The special Simple Green mentioned above is "Extreme Simple Green for Aircraft"....it's the best stuff I've used for cleaning the belly.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It looks like I have almost everything on the lists here. My shopping list for ACS will be pretty short. Mainly need the case of oil. I was listening to Mike Busch's EAA webinar on oil and it was very interesting. I think at this oil change I'm going to do as he suggests and put the Aeroshell 100W in with CamGuard. No real need for multiviscosity in the engine during the summer months. BTW, summer starts in March in San Diego. :)

Timing and compression covered?

Did not see them covered in quick look through

Your choice of tricks for draining oil (hose) ,... And getting drop from filter out to a pan (form a funnel)

Also for "A" models,... Neat trick is to use a cutting "sheet", as in go to Walmart or kitchen place and get a thin flexible sheet ,..to protect the nose gear fairing during cowl removal and install,..(saw that on VAF). .also nose gear,...scale for nose gear breakout force check

And be ready for rubs and heat, not seen earlier,...

Here's what I use

I'm trying to line up all of the stuff I might need for my first condition inspection. Airplane has just over 100 hours since first flight, so I'm not expecting any big maintenance issues.

I'll be changing the oil, oil filter, checking the brake pads, tightening nuts and bolts that might need new cotter pins, and resafety wiring items.

What other sort of items should I have on hand before I start?

I hope that the weather will be good enough to get up to Aircraft Spruce this weekend and pick everything up.

I made myself a consumables check / pertinent info list in a Word document before my first inspection and it has been very helpful. I print a copy for reference every year and try and update it as needed. I also research AD's and SB's using AD toolbox software and Van's website before the condition inspection begins and print applicable AD's. I also print a copy of my condition inspection check list. Both of these are filed every year with notes and squawks. These documents from AD research and previous inspections may change the items you'll need for the upcoming inspection. Bear in mind the following is designed for my specific airplane and may not be totally applicable to your situation:

Consumables and part model / serial numbers

Oil ? 8 qts. Exxon Elite or equivalent
Oil Filter ? Champion CH 48110 ? 1
Or Tempest AA48110 - 2
Acetone
MEK
Hoppes #9 gun cleaning solvent ? for fuel injector cleaning.
Cotter keys for landing gear axle nuts
Spark plug adapter crush gaskets (from U.S. Tool Supply)

Tires ? Dresser re-treads or equivalent 5.00 X 5
Tubes ? Michelin air stops
Tire Talc

Screws for floor, access covers, wing root fairings wing tips. (Preferably torx head)

Original screws: Replacement:

Floor pan _AN 509 8R8 MS 24694-S5
Wing tips _________
Wing access covers: AN 507 6R6_ MS 24693S28
& AN ____________

Brake pads & rivets ?
RA66-106-4K is 4 brake pucks= one complete brake job.
RA66-106-8k is 8 pucks= two brake jobs.

Oil screen plug copper crush gasket - AN900-16

Mouse Milk for Exhaust system joints
LPS-1 & 2 for general lube
K&N Air Filter Oil & cleaner solution

Aero Shell 6 grease for prop
Aeroshell 5 grease for wheel bearings
Lubriplate for tail wheel grease
Spark Plug anti-seize

Spark Plugs:

Spark plugs ? Denso IK27 iridiums or NGK BR7IEX iridiums for 9:1 compression.
Denso IK24 or NGK BR8IEX iridiums for lower compressions (8.5:1).
Non iridiums: BR7ES or BR8ES depending on compression.

Magneto fired spark plugs ? Champion (Tempest equivalent) REM 40E Massive:
38E Massive
38S Fine wire

Engine originally came with UREM38S sparkplugs on the mag and Denso W24EMR-C automotive spark plugs on the electronic ignition.

My Lightspeed came with Denso W27EMR-C plugs. I just replaced them (93 hours) with another set of the same type which I had on hand. I'm trying the Denso IK27 currently.

Gap bottom aviation Iridium fine wire plugs to .017 - .021? per Champion / Unison. Smaller gap = less stress on mag points.

Gap automotive spark plugs at .026 - .035? for high compression (8.7:1 or greater) or .032 - .040 for mid compression engines. Smaller gap = less stress on electronic ignition according to VAF.;

Torque bottom aviation plugs to 35 ft. lbs per Lycoming. Torque top automotive plugs to 15 ft. lbs and inserts to 20 ft. lbs. per Lightspeed.

Crush gasket for oil suction screen is an AN900-16 from aircraft spruce.

Table 72-00-11.5 ? Crush Type Gasket Tightening Angles
Description of Limit...........................Angle (approx.)
Oil Suction Screen Gasket ....................... 135?
Pressure Relief Valve Gasket.......................90?
Oil Cooler Bypass Plug Gasket....................135?

Superior Vantage O-360, IO-360 Series Maintenance manual p/n SVMM01, revision, March 2006 P#4 has a table 72-00-11.5 "Crush type gasket tightening angles" that references the 135 deg. number. It also has a note that says: install crush gasket with seam toward aluminum case. Tighten thread until cap or valve body contacts gasket. Turn additional angle shown above. Lock wire in place. Torque, 135 degrees rotation after full contact

Model and serial numbers for engine and accessories

Alternator ? Plane Power
Replaced with serial # ___________
Model# AL 12?EI 60/B
Alternator belt tension ? Torque at pulley ? 12 ft./ lb. (+- 1) when new or 8 ft/lb. (+- 1) when used.
Serial# (original 216-71941 failed on Oshkosh 2011 return with 2 ? years and 215 hrs on it).
Alternator belt part # _____________

Lightspeed Ignition:
Model Plasma II +
Direct crank fired:
Serial # 33095 + PMS

Magneto ? Slick w / impulse coupler
Serial # 06110585
Model# 4371

Govenor Jihostroj PCU 5000X
Part Number P-520-036/A
Serial # 07301285
RPM Drive ratio 2700 / .866 to 1
Head setting 180 degrees

Mechanical Fuel pump
Model # LW-15473
Serial # ______________

Starter ? Sky Tec
Model # 149-LS
Serial # F2L-320616

Fuel injection servo ? Bendix Silverhawk
Model EX5VA1
Serial # 70HB5805
Manifold valve 3015004-1 0BG6613

Engine Data:
Mattituck
TMX-IO360-M1B
W/O # 50491
Serial # V537946805
Engine ran in test stand on 2/13/07
First start was October 2008

Propeller Hartzell
Model # HC-CY2R-1BFP/F7497-2
ASS?Y Serial # CH41733B
Hub Serial # CH41733B
Blade 1 Serial # K55508
Blade 2 Serial # K55507
Date 6/14/07
W.O. # M545070

Brakes
Cleveland
Cleveland Wheels & Brakes maintenance manual shows that 0.100" is the minimum lining thickness. New pads=.190", recommended replacement=.100".

If your pads are the originals included with the Cleveland brakes then they may not have a wear indicator. When you buy replacement pads be sure to get ones that have wear indicators. For example, the RAPCO replacements have a notch in the edge that you can see during visual inspection of the brake. Once the notch is gone you should replace the pads. I got the RAPCO pads from Aircraft Spruce. At the time, (late 2006) their price was substantially under Van's if you bought enough pads for a couple of changes.

Crankshaft:
P/N 13B47120
S/N V537946805

Con Rods:
P/N LW-11750
Date codes 083106
Cylinders: (Lycoming)
P/N 05K21104
Date codes: 122806

Hours since brake change

Squawk list:

The above list does not include non consumables such as specialty tools but as others have mentioned: Timing light for electronic ignition and mag timing box, compression tester, jacks, safety wire pliers, torque wrenches, oil funnel, filter cutter,spark plug cleaner, etc.

Back